Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gantlet Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There has been an interesting debate in Chicago about the word gantlet, and I've copied it below for those who don't like to click.

quote:
Above Friday's Page 1 story detailing how some Chicago public school students dodge gangs and violence on their way to class appeared the headline "The gantlet."

Readers were incensed. And the gauntlets -- er, gloves -- came off.

In fact, the headline apparently sparked so much interest that the term "gantlet" rose to No. 10 on Google's list of hottest Internet searches Friday morning.

How could the Tribune commit such a grievous error? We'd clearly chosen the wrong word, dozens of readers told us by phone and e-mail and in online comments.

Had we?

Webster's New World College Dictionary, which we use in the newsroom, prefers "gantlet" when describing the act of running between two rows. The dictionary also accepts "gauntlet" in this usage, though the primary definition is a medieval glove worn by knights.

For consistency, newspapers adopt a style that ensures one, uniform use of certain terms. In the Tribune's case, we go with Associated Press style, which is to use the term "gantlet."

The response shows that the spelling we chose, though correct, was less familiar to readers. The alternative? Bow to common usage by choosing "gauntlet."

Can we all just pick up our gauntlets now and move on?
I have to say, I thought they'd left out the "u." Would you have wondered? Probably not...too many smarties here. Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've talked about this a couple times before, here and here. I've always heard and used gauntlet, but that means nothing.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So we have! I think, as Aput had said in that link, that most people spell it "gauntlet."

I just thought the linguistic explanation by the Tribune was interesting. And they stuck to their guns!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post