Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kennel? Login/Join

posted
The second of my (possibly) pointless contributions. A mate of mine used the Americanism "In the doghouse" the other night. Apart from wondering quite when the expression arrived over here (vague memories of a Laurel and Hardy film with a title containing the word?), do Americans use 'kennel' at all? As far as I'm aware the "The Kennel Club of Great Britain" does not have a sister organisation called "The Doghouse of the United States"! So apart from weird tendencies to call poor spaniels " Prince Montgomery of Slovenia" (better known as "Fred"), do they have anything in common , namewise?

Posts: 153 | Location: South Shields, England.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, very common leftpondwise. In confirmation, Laverne defines it as "A compound where they keep dogs"

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
We have the term kennel also, but it means more of a business that has commercial boarding for dogs.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well in the UK it means both- a boarding house for dogs and a small shed for a dog's home. One thing I've never seen is a kennel shaped in the traditional cartoon manner with a peaked roof and a horseshoe shaped door, do they exist only in the movies?

Posts: 153 | Location: South Shields, England.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Snoopy sleeps on top of his kennel, so they do exist outside the movies - in cartoons.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
My dad, a carpenter, once built a doghouse for the family dog: it looked pretty much how doghouses are portrayed in the movies.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have often heard the word "kennel" used for an individual doghouse, though it is also used for a commercial boarding business. In pet stores, for example, often the term for a doghouse is "kennel."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Snoopy's kennel? I thought he lived in a Sopwith Camel, not a kennel. And there's the dog poet, Galway Kennel. Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post