Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Davenport" Login/Join

posted
Wordcrafter recently gave us a thread of words which have "two separate meanings, conveying two different concepts".

What about "davenport"? How did it come to mean both a typo of sofa, and a type of writing-desk?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Online Etymology Dictionary says that the "couch" meaning probably comes from the name of the manufacturer. They mention the earlier "writing table" meaning, but don't give an etmyology, although they say the proper name comes from a place in Cheshire.

My guess is that the tables were also named after a Mr Davenport, presumably a different one.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My mother always used the word "davenport" for coach or sofa, while all my friends' moms said either "couch" or "sofa," and that's what I hear now. Is "davenport" a regional term?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
Wordcrafter recently gave us a thread of words which have "two separate meanings, conveying two different concepts".

What about "davenport"? How did it come to mean both a typo of sofa, and a type of writing-desk?

This article explains it Smile.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
We had a sofa in the family room, and a davenport in the living room. Now I have a couch and a love seat in my back room. Go figure.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post