Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An affixitive from law Login/Join

Picture of KB
posted
A friend of mine got a legal notice about city taxes he owed & asked me about a word in it. "Distraint". Never heard of it, myself, just constraint and restraint. Anyone have a clue what this affixion of the "-straint" root means?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow. I hope I never come in contact with that word, which means: "the seizure and holding of property as security for payment of a debt or satisfaction of a claim." He doesn't live in a friendly city, does he?

It almost makes me wonder if they didn't use the word on purpose, thinking he'd not know it and lose his property!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KB:
A friend of mine got a legal notice about city taxes he owed & asked me about a word in it. "Distraint".
What a compliment that he should turn to you rathehr than a dictionary, trustintg you as an "almost-as-good" source.

I'd never thought of the -straint as a root. Very interesting point. OED says that it is from Latin stringere "to draw tight".

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
OED says that it is from Latin stringere "to draw tight".

Hence "stringent," I assume?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
astringent = tight butt

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KB
posted Hide Post
Not quite as complimentary as you may think, shufitz. Easier to ask a smart friend when you see him more often than you go to the library.

Then again, maybe it is a compliment to me. A lot of my long-time friends don't have their own dictionaries (let alone good ones). Obviously, that's because they rely on me! <cough, choke, cough>

Big Grin

[Edit: Yipes! Almost forgot -- thanks for the clarification Kalleh. Rude of me not to acknowledge the help I specifically asked for. Chalk it up to worry for my friend's situation.]