Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Health Care Provider Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am interested in what Wordcrafters think a health care provider is. This is a term that frequents nursing literature these days, and I wonder what those outside of health care think it means.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...does this mean you don't know...or is this a stupid question?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Hmmm...does this mean you don't know...or is this a stupid question?

It means I'm still sharing my wife's computer and hadn't gotten time to check in here to answer!

With the advent of "managed" health care, more and more insurance companies are only paying for nurse practitioners, who work for less money than MDs, but are usually competent. Osteopaths, chiropractors, acupuncturists, naturopaths, and shamans might also fit under the defitition as well.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's what I think, too. It even can deteriorate to LPNs or nursing assistants. The term is used in nursing so that people won't think a "doctor" is just a physician and not a nurse practitioner, but I don't think it works.

posted Hide Post
Health care provider often refers to the insurance company.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Really? That's a new one to me.

posted Hide Post
No, I think I'm probably wrong about that. It can refer to the hospital or clinic, or the actual person or people who provide the care, but it seems I've heard it also used (incorrectly) at times to refer to the insurance company. Ignore my last post.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post