Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Brutal assault by adjectives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brutal assault by adjectives Login/Join

posted
Why is it that every time someone is assaulted, murdered, raped, or otherwise caused harm, the word, "brutal" precedes the necessary word? Can't words such as "assault," "attack," or "murder" stand on their own without added adjectives? Aren't there other adjectives in the lexicon of news people if they feel they must one one?

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I dislike using "assaulted" without a qualifier preceding it, like "sexual", since the term can mean so many different harmful activities. The other day, a local politician claimed she was "assaulted" by a rival campaign worker. Without reading further, the first thought would be an attempted rape. But it appears the man, while stressing a point during a heated political argument, touched the woman's arm. That was the "assault."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geoff, I agree and have always disliked the frequent use of the word "brutal." Besides being used with killing or rapes, it often is used in everyday things, like, "That was a "brutal" winter. I suppose that is "evolving" of the language, but I don't have to like that evolution.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newspaper articles are good for teaching collocations to ESL students. Certain adj-noun pairs are more common than others: we use "brutal attack" but not "big attack".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

posted Hide Post
Yet one might use "major attack" or "large-scale attack." It's a wonder anyone ever learns English!

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post