Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What the feck? Login/Join

posted
One never hers the word, feck, used in its positive form; only its negative, feckless, is used. Maybe we should tell our politicians to get fecking?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Wiktionary gives two alternative etymologies: from the Scots, as a cut-short form of effect, and from the Irish feic, "to see". The former gives us feckless, the letter gives the present-day Irish a useful alternative for "fuck".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Wiktionary gives two alternative etymologies: from the Scots, as a cut-short form of effect, and from the Irish feic, "to see".

I think the former is much more likely.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
cut-short form of effect,
I am wondering if you say cut-short in England, rather than shortcut?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
No. We use shortcut as you do.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
But sometimes, as in your post, you say cut-short? I maybe wrong, but I don't think we say that here in the U.S.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A shortcut is a noun, meaning "a quicker way to get somewhere". Cut-short is a verb/adverb formation, the past participle of "to cut", with the modifier "short", indicating "not long".

I could have used the technical term aphetic, but substituted what I thought was a clearer term. Roll Eyes

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I completely understood what you were saying. I just was interested in the word. Aphetic I would have had to look up.

posted Hide Post
I thought an aphetic was something to get rid of aphids.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post