Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MB and MD Login/Join

posted
Due to strange circumstances I was forced to find a new physician. By coincidence I found one in a bicycle shop, and learned that she was taking new patients. Upon receiving her business card, I noted her degree as "MB," not MD. She's from Trinidad, so I wonder if they issue different doctoral degrees in former British colonies?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Seems to stand for Bachelor of Medicine (see this article). You might want to make sure she's licensed to practice medicine in your state.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
If she's working out of the shop, it might be Master of Bicycles.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
According to that Wikipedia page "All constituent countries of the University of the West Indies (UWI) confer MB BS ..." That would include Trinidad and Tobago. From further down the page:
quote:
Medical school graduates are only entitled to use the courtesy title "Doctor" upon registration as a medical practitioner with the relevant regulatory body in their respective country. Medical graduates are also eligible to sit various postgraduate examinations, including examinations for membership and fellowship of professional institutions.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Her card does indeed say, "MB,BS" And she completed her residency here: http://medicine.iu.edu/ She's employed by that same institution in Muncie, so, except for the steel drums out back of her office and the Bob Marley music on the sound system, I'm not at all concerned. Ya, Mon, she'll be OK!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
I'll bet you're just looking for that medicinal ganja.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Most states allow you to check to see if a health care provider is licensed. However, Indiana has an umbrella Board (not an autonomous one) and apparently not many resources when I checked their website, at least as compared to other Boards. You might try this site to see if you can tell if she is licensed. I think, given the circumstances, that is really important for you to do.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Definitely check. After all, Dr. Phil isn't a real doctor, and neither is Dr. Laura.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I also was interested in Trinidad's rule about when their medical graduates are "entitled" to use the courtesy title "Doctor" upon registration. I wonder if they allow others with doctoral degrees to be called "Doctor." You know my thoughts about that!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Since she's from sTrinidad, could the MB mean Master of Bobsled?

posted Hide Post
Not sure about Trinidad, but I do remember the Jamaican bobsled team.

Now if Hooters would sponsor a team, imagine what it might be called.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Not sure about Trinidad, but I do remember the Jamaican bobsled team.

Never mind.