Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You Bet! Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was struggling with some packages today, and some really nice man asked if he could help me. I politely declined, and then I said, "Thanks". He replied, "You bet". My dad often says, "You bet", instead of, "You're welcome". I am curious--is that just regional slang? I tried looking it up in various slang dictionaries, as well as other sites, but couldn't find it. Does anyone know?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I doubt it's regional, as I've herd it on both coasts.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It would seem to be American; I can't say that I've ever heard the phrase used like that over on this side of the pond.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"You bet" is often used in lieu of "you're welcome" here in the PNW (Pacific North West), and I'm inclined to think it's common throughout the US. I have no evidence to back that up, of course.

It is a curious expression. "You bet" essentially means "yes" (the AHD says "you bet" is an idiom meaning "of course; surely") and to answer "you're welcome" with "yes" seems odd. Yet we use "yes" as an answer in many ways. When someone calls us, we may answer "yes?" instead of "what?" If someone says, "do you mind if I come in?", we answer, "yes, come on in", instead of the more logical, "no, I don't mind; come in".

Perhaps the phrase was "you're welcome, of course" or "you're surely welcome" and got shortened to "of course" or "surely", which became "you bet". Pure conjecture, of course.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I think Tinman's on the right track. I've heard, "You bet you are" as well as the shorter "You bet." It seems to be a gambling reference, as though one could safely wager that the act was done gladly, thus an elaborate euphamism for "You're welcome."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Tinman, I think you have it. I imagine it is somewhere in a slang dictionary, but I sure couldn't find it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear "You betcha!" all the time, as well as "You bet!"

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I hear "You betcha!" all the time
Although I've never been drawn to popular music, I vaguely remember a song entitled, "Betcha By Golly Wow"about thirty years ago. I betcha (!) that stems from the same source.

posted Hide Post
Betcha By Golly Wow

~~ The Stylistics

(And an aside..I also found it by...gulp...The Backstreet Boys frown)

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post