Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

songster Login/Join

posted
I just had a friendly discussion with one of the drafters at work about the word "songster," as he was editing a commendation letter written for a high school choir. First, he changed "songsters" to "singers" but chose in the end to write "students." We felt the word "songster" was antiquated, but my searching did not indicate that. Anyone?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The suffix -ster is one bit of morphology with a history. Originally, it was a feminine agentive suffix in Old English. Placed on verbs it created agentive nouns, many of which still survive as family names based on professions: e.g., Baxter (from bake), Webster (from weave), Brewster (from brew). When Norman French came in with the conquering troops, at some point during the Middle English period, the suffix was re-analyzed to be -ter / -tor, the Romance masculine agentive suffix. At this point, a new feminine agentive suffix was created by fusing the older -(s)ter with the Romance -ess (originally from a rare Greek suffix -issa): -stress, as in seamstress.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
To me, it's not so much antiquated as it is contemptuous. I'm not sure why. Perhaps by analogy with rhymester, which is a contemptuous term for a poor and petty poet such as I.