Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100? Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
I was just perusing a site that has a chat jargon dictionary, which is interesting in it's own right, but I am wondering about one of them.

They list "100" as being the slang for "nature calls".

Why 100? Is this from something else, like naval history or something?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
1337speak for loo?

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
what is 1337speak?

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
what is 1337speak?

Hacker code. 1 = L, 3 == E, 7 == T,
LEET is slang for elite.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I viewed this site with a great deal of interest and I have to admit that I was lost as to the rationale behind some of them. In many ways it is a whole new language for us to learn. I wonder how long it will be before somebody offers a degree course or even GCSE qualificatioin in this, or is it already available somewhere?

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
What is a GCSE?

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
What is a GCSE?

A very worthwhile, very difficult exam that UK 16-year olds take in about 9 subjects.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Off topic a bit, but where did the drug addict term, "420" come from?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A group of high school kids used to meet regularly to smoke maryjane together after school at 4.20 pm. See Snopes.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
A very worthwhile, very difficult exam

What makes it worthwhile? Is it for college entrance placement or something?

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
I think he's being sarcastic. GCSE exams (General Certificate of Secondary Education) have attracted much controversy because each year since they began (late 80s, taking over from GCE O Levels and CSEs as an amalgam) the results have been better than the previous year; more than would be expected, thus giving rise to suspicion that they're getting easier. A friend of mine who was a French teacher confirmed to me that although they may not be easier per se (I'd have to look at 2 exams from different years to decide), certain aspects of them make it easier to get high marks (teachers under pressure from the government for good league table results handing back coursework with suggestions for tweaks is one example). Also, I've not had this confirmed (arnie?) but there have been rumours that the number of marks needed for each grade have fallen, so again, if this is true, it's easier to get a higher grade. As I said, I've heard this from several sources but have no proof, and I kind of doubt it.

There's definitely something suspicious about the results getting better at such a high rate though. Kids just don't get cleverer that quickly - evolution doesn't work that fast (would that it did!)

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kids just don't get cleverer that quickly - evolution doesn't work that fast (would that it did!)
No, but there is a lot of attention paid to teaching methods, nowadays. The 50-year turnaround between males and females can be attributed almost solely to a change in teaching methods. Technological advancements such as the internet and Bitesize enable people to achieve better results, too.

I don't think it fully explains the trend, but I believe there may be more causes than just evolution :P

Posts: 7 | Location: Birmingham, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
As Cat said, there's a lot of controversy over the allegations that GCSEs are getting easier. I can't speak because I haven't seen an old paper and a modern paper side by side either. Doad or Bob would probably be better qualified to speak on this.

I don't think that there's much doubt that with GCE A levels (taken two years later and relied upon for university entrance in particular) the higher grades are easier to reach than they once were.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it's only taken me 6 hours to notice you've joined, mutualdesire! *is only second WC login of the day, in defence*

Did I say evolution was the only possible cause? No, so Razz. The Internet certainly makes it easier to cheat (as I think we discussed in the pub), so that is a definite cause, I'll agree.

It's because of all these things (and presumably more) that something needs to be done to make GCSE etc results more a reflection of a person's ability in that subject - degree results haven't followed this pattern of breaking results records year in, year out, so it must be possible to achieve.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cat,

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
what is 1337speak?

See Wikipedia for full details.

When you've read the first article, you might like to graduate to this Smile!

Your Postgraduate coursework is to decipher this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dianthus,