Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flash Mob Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
It was only in the last few months that I've heard about flash mobs. Yet when I read about it in Wikipedia, it says it has been around since 2003. When did you first hear about them? What great ones have you heard about?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Three or four years ago ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of them. The term sounds to me like a bunch of people running naked.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Out-of-control paparrazi?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The best and latest flash mob I heard about was the one in a mall food court where the mob started singing Handel's Messiah (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's the best one I've heard of, too, z.

Wow...three or four years ago! Amazing. I only heard of them in 2010.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
There are good flash mobs and bad flash mobs. I only heard about them last year, when there were a series of them in Center City Philadelphia. In each case, throngs of teenagers who had just gotten out of school would converge on a designated intersection and just run wild, causing mayhem and injuries, roughing up passers-by. They were "organized" by text messaging and would just flare up suddenly and frighten everyone who happened to be in the way.

The good flash mobs are the cultural ones like the one you mentioned. We've had a few of those too: opera in the Reading Terminal Market and the Hallelujah Chorus breaking out at Macy's.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I probably heard about flash mobs about three years ago. The favorite spots in London seem to be Trafalgar Square and some of the railway termini, particularly Liverpool Street station. Many are just publicity stunts organised by commercial interests.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sally, great to have you posting! My miscreant posts on my Facebook must have brought you back. Yaaahhh...it was worth it, though it embarrassed my poor daughter so much that I deleted it all. [Heh, heh! The rest of you have no idea, do you?]

Anyway, I am pretty bummed that I am the only one here who hadn't heard much about them, except for Geoff, who was probably being polite. It must be this dull midwest.

posted Hide Post
Truly I had not heard of them - not even in Portland, OR, where such trendy crap - err - phenomena is common.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Actually, Geoff, I think the bad ones are examples of hooliganism, not trendiness!

WM

P.S. And Kalleh, you are right--your "miscreant" posts on FB brought me over here looking for comments on the same incident. I think you should try them out on this group. Your daughter won't police you here, will she?

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I think the bad ones are examples of hooliganism, not trendiness!

Hooligans can be trendy, too. I don't think you can blame hooliganism on flash mobs the phenomenon, anymore than you can blame burglary on police scanners.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
I think the Situationists would enjoy flash mobs.

<Proofreader>
posted
They give the good ones a bad name.

Check this out.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you should try them out on this group. Your daughter won't police you here, will she?
No. She wouldn't deign to look at our Wordcraft...and yet every so often, because she really does love words and language, she will ask, "Will you please ask this question on Wordcraft?" Big Grin

So, Wordcrafters, here was the discussion. I posted this story about the Winnetka police: Link WM and I were debating the issue on my facebook page, when my daughter emailed me and told me to stop and remove all my posts because it was "just too much." So, I dutifully did, and then poor WM deleted hers too because otherwise they wouldn't have made any sense. So...what do people here think of that butt dialing incident?

I understand that you have to be careful about Facebook, but a healthy debate [on whether this ridiculous escapade of the police proved that they were Keystone Kops...or whether this was a best practice of the police] surely shouldn't be cause for concern.

[Can you guess which side I was on? Wink]