Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

copacetic Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
Just overheard this blast from the past for the first time in decades. Even on this venerable forum it hasn't been mentioned since 2004 (& then only in passing). Wiki says there is no evidence to support theories of its origin. Will someone who knows Hebrew advise the pronunciation of the phrase claimed as one of the possibilities?
quote:
first used by British soldiers stationed in Palestine before 1948, based on the Hebrew הכל בסדר (hakól b'séder, “everything is O.K.”)
Sounds plausible except that I seem to remember 'Everything's copacetic, man' as a term borrowed into boomer slang from jazz musicians...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall it as being common in the 1960s, but, like you, seldom hear it these days. Maybe because our times aren't copacetic?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
copacetic

It's one of the unfortunate words without a known origin. An amateur etymologist abhor nothing like a word of unknown origin. I don not find the Hebrew etymology convincing.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the OED Online:

quote:
copacetic, adj.

Pronunciation: /kəʊpəˈsɛtɪk/ /-ˈsiːtɪk/
Forms: Also copesetic, etc., kopacetic.
Etymology: Origin unknown.
U.S. slang.

Fine, excellent, going just right.

1919 I. Bacheller Man for Ages iv. 69 ‘As to looks I'd call him, as ye might say, real copasetic.’ Mrs. Lukins expressed this opinion solemnly... Its last word stood for nothing more than an indefinite depth of meaning.

1926 C. Van Vechten Nigger Heaven 286 Kopasetee, an approbatory epithet somewhat stronger than all right.

1934 Webster's New Internat. Dict. Eng. Lang., Copacetic, capital; snappy; prime.

1934 J. O'Hara Appointment in Samarra (1935) i. 24 You had to be a good judge of what a man was like, and the English was copacetic.

1935 N. Ersine Underworld & Prison Slang 29 Copissettic, all right, okay.

1937 Amer. Speech 12 243/1 ‘Everything is copesetic’..is synonymous with ‘O.K.’, and I believe it is used by negroes in the South.

1947 Down Beat 18 June 4 (heading) Torme not all copa-setic.

1969 Down Beat 20 Mar. 18/1 We hear two city cops chatting. ‘Well, everything seems copasetic,’ says one. ‘Yeah, we might as well move on,’ the other agrees.

William Safire (March 29, 1980) thought the word was probably from the Hebrew kol b'tzedek "all with justice." He said the word was popularized by Bill (Bojangles) Robinson, the dancer, and is used by black jazz men.

Online Etymology Dictionary Online Etymology Dictionary:
quote:
1919, but it may have origins in 19c. Amer.Eng. Southern black speech. Origin unknown, suspects include Latin, Yiddish (cf. Heb. kol b'seder), Italian, Louisiana French (coupe-sétique), and Native American. None is considered convincing by linguists.

The Straight Dope, June 5, 2003:

quote:
According to most sources, the word was popularized by Bill "Bojangles" Robinson way back in 1919. He claimed to have coined the word when he was a shoeshine boy back in Richmond, Virginia. However according to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word was first used in that same year by Irving Bacheller in his book Man for the Ages, a biography of Abraham Lincoln. That's where any agreement on the word starts to break down.

Various origins for copacetic have been suggested, none of which, according to pretty much every report I read, has any supporting evidence:

John O'Hara used the word in his book Appointment in Samarra. He states that it had its source in an Italian word which he believed to be something like "copacetti." That's about as close as he came.

One traces it back to a Creole French word coupersetique meaning "that which can be coped with. "

Another source traces it to one of two Hebrew phrases, hakol b'seder, "all is in order," or kol b'tzedek, "all with justice."

Another tells of a source in the Chinook word copasenee, which means "everything is satisfactory."

One most likely fabulous explanation says that it is a corruption of the phrase "the cop is on the settee," meaning that local law enforcement was none too vigilant and things were thus OK.

One source suggests a combination of two of these possibilities. Southern black children could have heard the Hebrew word from Jewish shopkeepers and interpreted it as "copacetic" thereby introducing it into Southern black slang.

Take your pick. It's all copacetic to me.
— Euty

Worlds Wide Words says pretty much the same thing.

The Word Detective, April 10, 2007:
quote:
One theory traces it to an Italian word "copissettic," supposedly meaning "excellent," another to a Creole-French word, "coupersetique," or "able to be coped with." Both are superficially plausible, but lack any evidence in their favor. The fact that "copacetic" first appeared in African-American usage, especially among jazz musicians, makes another theory, that the word is based on the Hebrew phrase "kol ba seder," meaning "all in order," more of a mystery than a believable explanation. Yet another theory, that "copacetic" came from the French phrase "copain c'est épatant!" ("Buddy, that's great!"), seems as much a stretch as the others.

Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, an African-American entertainer of the early 20th century, claimed to have coined the word (and he did certainly popularize "copacetic"). Although other sources cast doubt on Robinson's claim, the implausibility of all other theories so far proposed makes one wonder if he might have been right.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for all the great info, tinman! I'm glad to have this on record so I can hunt up your entry again as needed. Copacetic!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
In the book Talking Retro, the author mentions one reason for writing it was he noticed that kids didn't understand some references older people used. For example, younger people recognize "Watergate" but can't relate why it's important. Another example is the phrase "bigger than a breadbox." That reference was often used on the show Twenty Questions to compare the size of a mystery object. But when was the last time you ever heard of, much less saw, a breadbox? Or a rumble seat?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve Allen posed the question, "Is it bigger than a bread box?" on the What's My Line?" TV show on January 18, 1953. He was serious in asking the question, but the audience roared in laughter. It became a standing joke on the show.

There was one British contestant on the show

From The Straight Dope:

quote:
From his 1960 autobiography, Mark It and Strike It

Is is bigger than a breadbox?"

The one line that seems to have stuck in the public consciousness is one whose popularity has always been a puzzle to me. One evening, in trying to determine the size of an object that was manufactured by one of the guests, I said, "Is is bigger than a breadbox?" I meant this in all seriousness, but for some reason the audience laughed uproariously. Perhaps the reason is that the breadbox is an old-fashioned item to today's homemakers and so the word had the sort of connotation that surrounds phrases like high-button shoes, celluloid collar, or raccoon coat. In any event, from that day to this the phrase has been a part of the American vernacular. Dorothy, Bennett, and Arlene picked it up as a sort of running joke and there was a time when every week somebody would send me an unusual breadbox or ask me for mine or send me a song about breadboxes or something of the sort. One kitchenware manufacturer even wanted to put a Steve Allen breadbox on the market.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
What's My Line it was. Mixed it up with the other show. After fifty years, I think that's allowed.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I have a breadbox. It is fire-engine red w/curves like a '50's car fender.

<Proofreader>
posted
We had a breadbox. The cat slept in it (after we relegated it to the cellar, before tossing it one spring cleaning).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
We had a breadbox. The cat slept in it (after we relegated it to the cellar, before tossing it one spring cleaning).

With or without the cat?

B35 and Proof, if you haven't alrready battened down the hatches, bat 'em down TIGHT!!!

We use a small microwave oven for our breabox - annnnnnd, we have a pie safe! How's that for old-timey? :-)

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
we have a pie safe!

What on earth do you use for a filling?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting discussion. Z, what are some other words where the etymology is unknown?

I wonder why copacetic is used less than it used to be. I like the word, particularly the "everything's copacetic, man" jazzy sort of use.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder why copacetic is used less than it used to be.

It's really a slang term, and slang tends to go out of fashion very quickly. In my youth everything was 'groovy, man'. If I were to use that in everyday speech now I'd sound like the old fart I am.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvlW4bEjB5A

<Proofreader>
posted
Stella felt groovy, too.

<Proofreader>
posted
Hereis alink to a poetic disussion of English spelling. Scroll down past the text at the beginning.

posted Hide Post
Droll!

(Rhymes not with doll, but dole)

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I did research this, very clever, poem once. Interestingly it was written by a Dutchman!

See here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chaos

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post