Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh! Crap! Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Here is an excerpt from a book, which may or may not interest you.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark Forsyth writes the very entertaining blog The Inky Fool.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Here is an excerpt from a book, which may or may not interest you.

Yes, that did or did not interest me.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never thought of the word, "lavatory" as meaning other than "washroom." This guy seems to think otherwise.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
I had never thought of the word, "lavatory" as meaning other than "washroom." This guy seems to think otherwise.

In UK use lavatory means the actual ceramic or plastic plumbed-in fitting or the room in which it's contained. I think Americans generally use toilet to refer to the former. Some of us also use toilet to refer to the room. We don't generally use washroom, preferring bathroom when referring to the containing room itself.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the school where I went to the 2nd and 3rd grades the toilet, bathroom, whatever you want to call it, was called the lav, short for lavatory, though I thought the teacher said lab, short for laboratory. I never heard it called that before and I haven't heard it since. This was around '53 in a rural area of WA state. It's not rural any more.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Some of us also use toilet to refer to the room.

We call it the outhouse.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It is interesting that there are so many words for bathroom, toilet, lavatory, loo, washroom, ladies' and mens' room, etc. Yes, arnie, Americans tend to think of the toilet as the porcelain bowl. Yet, I know that's not the case in other countries. Interestingly, however, at O'Hare Airport there are some signs for "Toilet" though others for "Women's or Men's Room."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've also heard "water closet." Funny how we seem to HAVE to euphamize the excretorium.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excretorium? You mean shithouse?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We forgot "restroom,"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post