Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sea Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Shu and I have been in California this week - my second favorite state (second to Illinois, of course). It is beautiful here.

I have noticed that Californians talk about their gorgeous Pacific Ocean being the "sea" more than the Easterners do about their Atlantic Ocean. How about it Easterners, do you use the word "sea" for the Atlantic Ocean? If not, I am wondering why the difference.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
It's because if you ask a Californian, "Is that the ocean?", they say, "Si!"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So, Proof, out your way to people call the Atlantic Ocean the sea? I'm not aware that they do, but of course I don't live in the east.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
sea

quote:
The continuous body of salt water covering most of the earth's surface, especially this body regarded as a geophysical entity distinct from earth and sky. (link)

Unnamed it's all of the oceans combined. We talk about seawater and the sea shore.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Unnamed it's all of the oceans combined. We talk about seawater and the sea shore.

Here, it's polluted scum and mud flats.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You are right that we talk about sea shore. However, when I think of a "sea," I tend to think of something further away - like the Red Sea or the Mediterranean Sea.

The dictionary is all over the place, from citing the salt waters of the world, to "a large lake or landlocked body of water." That would include Lake Michigan, which I'd never call a sea.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Yes, sea like many words has multiple meanings. I am more suspicious of words with a single meaning. In Old English, one of the meanings of was lake. The Germans call Lake Constance Bodensee, and they call Lake Michigan Michigansee.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
In the prosaic NE it's the ocean, the beach, & the shore (NJ). Here at the Cape it's the ocean, often w/ a directional nod, to distinguish it from the bay. But when someone says "at the seashore", I always picture someplace farther away, like the mid-Atlantic or Florida. Thought that was my own idiosyncracy but sounds like it's the same for you, Kalleh.

"Sea" sounds literary, or maybe British-- interesting that Californians use it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bethree5,

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
And, remember, Ocean (Greek Ωκεανος, Ōkeanos) was originally the name of a huge river that surrounded the earth.

Sea just seems more abstract than ocean. The later always implies a name. The ocean out here on the left coast would have to be the Pacific Ocean. When sea gets qualified with a name, it's always one of those smaller bodies of water.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Over here we probably use sea most often. In many cases it's justified as the body of water in question is a named sea, such as "North Sea", "Irish Sea" and so on. However, we might be referring to an ocean, the Atlantic, if we're on that coast. As zmj indicates, sea appears more abstract; more generic if you like.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
sea appears more abstract; more generic if you like.

She sells sea shells down by the seashore.

In this, is she limited to non-ocean mollusks?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay. I'll call Lake Michigan the "sea" then and see how it goes over here. I can just imagine my daughter's response.Wink

I won't go so far as to call the Chicago River the sea - that really would be pushing the envelope, in my opinion.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Okay. I'll call Lake Michigan the "sea" then and see how it goes over here.

Nobody is suggested anything of the kind. I was just talking about what sea meant a thousand or so years ago. I had never heard of anybody complaining about calling an ocean the sea.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know, z. I was talking about the dictionary definition when I said that. The dictionary says a sea can be "a large lake...," which is exactly what Lake Michigan is.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The dictionary says a sea can be "a large lake...," which is exactly what Lake Michigan is.

Except that body of water has a name in English and it is Lake Michigan. You cannot call the Pacific ocean the Pacific sea, either.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
And, remember, Ocean (Greek Ωκεανος, Ōkeanos) was originally the name of a huge river that surrounded the earth.
That is so interesting, z. Any more info on that?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Shu and I have been in California this week
Wow you guys really get around! Sounds like you barely had time to exchange kilts for bikinis & surfboards!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
It's because if you ask a Californian, "Is that the ocean?", they say, "Si!"

Big Grin

En las ondas nadando, perdí
Mi bikini a lunares-- ¡me escondí!
¿Era océano o mar?
Sé que pude escuchar
Los gringos gritando, "See, see!"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bethree5,

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Any more info on that?

Wikipedia has a nice article on Oceanus. Also, Google Images on Oceanus map world and look at some examples of flat earth style imaginings.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Except that body of water has a name in English and it is Lake Michigan. You cannot call the Pacific ocean the Pacific sea, either.

True, it's named Lake Michigan. However, as I experienced in southern California, with people saying, "Let's go down to the sea," with accuracy (according to dictionary definitions) I could say the same in Winnetka, "Let's walk down to the sea."

On the other hand, as I often tell my kids when they make huge mountains out of molehills, in the history of life, this is not a big deal.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"Let's go down to the sea,"

And, if you understood them what is wrong with saying this?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This is one of those discussions that probably would be better "in person." I don't mean to be running this into the ground, but that was my point, zmj. If I said, "Let's go down to the sea," they'd at the very least think I'd be flying to one of the coasts - or maybe even the Red Sea!

But I could explain so it wouldn't be awful.