Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oxonian Login/Join

posted
Oxonian is the adjectival form of 'Oxford' -- of, relating to, or characteristic of Oxford or Oxford University.

Is there a set of production rules to turn a place name into an adjective that describes its denizens?

Posts: 133 | Location: Melbourne, AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of research on this when I compiled my World Travel Dictionary and could find no rules although there were common threads.

Many countries use "...ish" (English, Spanish, Irish) and many others use "...an" or "...ian" (German, Italian, Brazilian). Others have no way of doing it (USA, UAE).

Some have unique ways like the Isle of Man (Manx) or Switzerland (Swiss).

Similarly towns and areas like counties seem to have common ways but there are few hard and fast rules - although "...ians" is common.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
You should like the adjectival form of the other university in England: Cantabrigian formed, as for Oxonian, from the Medieval Latin place names for the two towns: Cantabrigia and Oxonia. But the best rule to follow, as Richard suggests, is to look it up in a gazetteer or placenames dictionary.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jheem,

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We often see "ite" as a place identifier -- Brooklynite and Manhattanite.

Of course with my own surname, I've often had to explain there is no medical connection. My ancestors came from the "Arvani" region, hence known as the "Arvanites," or now, Arvanitis.

RJA

Posts: 489 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
And do you call a resident of Bath a Bather? How about a resident of Spa, Belgium - a Spastic, perhaps? Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PS: Anyone interested in the Cleopatra joke involving Greek surnames may inquire by private message.

RJA

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Surely, Robert, you're not referring to the torn togas Caesar took to the tailor post tryst with Cleo? He hands the togas to the tailor and asks, "Eumenides?" The tailor says, "Sure; Euripides?"

Caesar goes on to tell the tailor, "Cleopatra ptolemy to bring these here. The tailor inspects the stains on his toga and says, "You must have done a 'Veni, vidi, veni, veni, veni' with her!"

posted Hide Post
Asa begins what might become a fine flood of Greek humor. To staunch the flow, I confess the reference was to the "place-name" form:

Marc Antony goes to visit Cleopatra. Her servant says she is in bed with laryngitis. Marc Antony replies "D**n those Greeks..."

RJA

Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
Some approximate principles can be seen.

The native English suffix is -ish, earlier -isc, and this covers most of the places nearest to us: English, Irish, Scottish, Danish, Spanish, Cornish, Kentish, Flemish.

Many of them have reduced vowels: Scotch, French, Welsh, Dutch, and probably Manx from metathesis of Norse Man-sk.

The Latin suffix -(i)an is generally for places further afield or brought into contact later.

The suffix -ese could be originally Italian or Portuguese, and seems to be used for nations we originally had seafaring contact with via them: Portuguese, Genoese, Maltese, Chinese, Japanese.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aput:
Some approximate principles can be seen.

The native English suffix is _-ish_, earlier _-isc_, and this covers most of the places nearest to us: English, Irish, Scottish, Danish, Spanish, Cornish, Kentish, Flemish.

Many of them have reduced vowels: Scotch, French, Welsh, Dutch, and probably Manx from metathesis of Norse Man-sk.

The Latin suffix _-(i)an_ is generally for places further afield or brought into contact later -- or just the designation invented later, as with the mediaeval Oxonian, Cantabrigian.

The suffix _-ese_ could be originally Italian or Portuguese, and seems to be used for nations we originally had seafaring contact with via them: Portuguese, Genoese, Maltese, Chinese, Japanese.

Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
Ah, now what's happened there? I've lost an edit button and only have the "reply with quote" option. I lost my settings the other day and have just signed back in...

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Welcome to the wonderful world of Bill Gates, aput!

Would I assume correctly that the "er" ending, as in "Portlander" is Germanic in origin?

And what DO residents of Bath and of Spa call themselves? I was silly with them previously, but I'd really like to know the correct terms. And what about all those unpronounceable (to me, anyway) Welsh towns?

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
The -ese suffix is from Latin -ensis. Could be via Italian.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I particularly like how residents of Michigan are sometimes referred to as "Michiganders".

Another one is Argentina, whose people are "Argentines", although evidently the announcers at the Olympics don't know this.

We have Californians, New Yorkers, Nebraskans, Floridians, etc., but I can't think of any way to describe someone from Illinois. The ending oy sound makes it difficult. If I was put to the test I would probably answer "Chicago-an". I wonder what people from the state of Georgia are called, since Georgian is already taken.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you wordcrafters... wordcraftians... wordcraftish... wordcraftese... *sighs* linguaphiles. It's good to hear that there are at least some approximate principles.

posted Hide Post
Seanahan - We are called Georgians... Smile

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by KHC:
Seanahan - We are called Georgians... Smile

I've heard my Georgia relatives say, "Jaw-jun." And folks from the east coast of the USA call Oregon "Aura-Gone," natives say "Orygun."

So does anybody know why someone from Indiana is called a Hoosier?

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Word History: We know where Hoosiers come from: Indiana. But where does the name Hoosier come from? That is less easy to answer. The origins of Hoosier are rather obscure, but the most likely possibility is that the term is an alteration of hoozer, an English dialect word recorded in Cumberland, a former county of northwest England, in the late 19th century and used to refer to anything unusually large. The transition between hoozer and Hoosier is not clear. The first recorded instance of Hoosier meaning “Indiana resident” is dated 1826; however, it seems possible that senses of the word recorded later in the Dictionary of Americanisms, including “a big, burly, uncouth specimen or individual; a frontiersman, countryman, rustic,” reflect the kind of use this word had before it settled down in Indiana. As a nickname, Hoosier was but one of a variety of disparaging terms for the inhabitants of particular states arising in the early 19th century. Texans were called Beetheads, for example; Alabamans were Lizards; Nebraskans were Bug-eaters; South Carolinians were Weasels, and Pennsylvanians were Leatherheads. People in Missouri might have had it worst of allthey were called Pukes. Originally, these names were probably taken up by people living in neighboring states, but belittled residents adopted them in a spirit of defiant pride, much as American colonists turned the derisive term Yankee into a moniker for their spirit of rebellion. Today, most of these frontier nicknames have disappeared from the landscape. A few like Okie still exist with much of their original animus. Others survive as nicknames for the sports teams of state universitiesthe North Carolina Tarheels, the Ohio Buckeyes, and so onfighting words only on the playing field or court.

~~~ jerry (always helpful)

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
but I can't think of any way to describe someone from Illinois

We are called "Illinoisians," Sean. BTW, nothing dusts my doilies more than to hear someone pronounce it as "Ill-in-noise!"

I agree about "Michiganders" being a great name...and since the Drake Hotel in Chicago overlooks Lake Michigan, we hear a lot of jokes about those "Michiganders!" Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going back to Seanahan's observation -- Surely Michiganders refers to only half the population. Might the other half be Michigeese?

RJA

posted Hide Post
Oklahomans are called not only Okies but also "Sooners," and I think the sports name came from the regional designation rather than the other way 'round. Yes?

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
The origin of this nickname comes from the settlers who "jumped the gun" when the Indian Territory was opened to white settlement in 1889. They snuck in before the official opening date and were labeled
"Sooners."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Drake Hotel in Chicago overlooks Lake Michigan, we hear a lot of jokes about thos e "Michiganders!" Wink
The Drake is an old and very elegant hotel, as one can see from its website, which links to a slow but extensive virtual tour. Of course, most of the hotel rooms are on sides that do not face Lake Michigan, a couple of blocks away. The "Michigan" connection is that the hotel is on Michigan Avenue (Chicago's upper-class shopping street), though facing the cross street.

The series of jokes:
"Why did the chicken cross the road?" To get to the other side.
"Why did the duck cross the road?" To get to the Drake.
"Why did the goose cross the road?" To get to the Michi-gander.

[groan]

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stayed in the Drake in February, '91. The view from the window was enlightening. There was an illuminated sign across the road displaying the current temperature. Brrrrr.