Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    'simumtaneous' vs. 'concurrent'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'simumtaneous' vs. 'concurrent' Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
What's the difference between 'simumtaneously' and 'concurrently'? (If any.)

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean 'simultaneous? Cool

There's no difference to my mind; in fact, Onelook gives the exactly same quick definition for both: simultaneous and concurrent.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say that simultaneous refers to two things happening at the same moment or instant of time, e.g. the flashbulbs went off simultaneously, and concurrent refers to two things happening together over a period of time, e.g. the photographers worked concurrently.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Latin simul 'together, at the same time'. (According to the A-H dictionary, the -taneous is a misanalysis of instantaneous.) This reminds me of the sameness of coincidence and synchronicity.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
On a trip in the USA middle-west I noticed many small grocery stores bearing signs labelling them CONVENIENT STORE ..... (the "s" phoneme of "convenience" has melded with that of "store.")

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I see a slight difference, and I think neveu as articulated it. How about concomitant? I've always loved that word. I see that closer to concurrent than simultaneous is.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post