Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brechtian Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I hadn't heard of this word before, though evidently it is a fairly common film word. Have any of you heard of it?

I read an article by a film critic who said it is the world's least specific adjective because theater-goers throw it around willy-nilly. Supposedly it reflects Brecht's notion of Verfremdungseffekt, which he called the "V-effect," in English meaning the alienation effect.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Verfremdungseffekt,

Which means one feels like poop?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've heard of it but never really understood what was meant by it. After reading the definition I don't think I am much wiser. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey, isn't "Brechtian" an eponym? Big Grin

I agree, Arnie. That's probably why they call it the "world's least specific adjective!"

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The normal technique of cinema and theatre is to try to involve the audience to the point where they forget that they are watching an entertainment and feel somehow as if they are part of the action or perhaps witnesses to real events.

Brecht's technique was , by various stage devices (odd settings, long asides to the audience delivered in a different style, modern pastiches of a Greek Chorus etc), to ensure that the audience were always aware of the division between themselves and the actors, that they never felt "involved" and so viewed everything dispassionately. I've never been convinced by it. It's too stylistic and if the play isn't extremely good too easy for the audience to become bored and distracted.

Maybe though it's just because when I've tried to watch in English the translations have been less than perfect and when I've tried to watch in German my language skills haven't really been up to it.

Every silver lining has a cloud.
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ohhh, thanks, Bob. That makes sense.

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Brecht adapted his term Verfremdungseffekt 'distanciation, alienation effect' from the Russian Formalist Viktor Shklovsky's term ostrenanie 'defamiliarization, estranging'. "The purpose of art, then, is to lead us to a knowledge of a thing through the organ of sight instead of recognition. By 'estranging' objects and complicating form, the device of art makes perception long and 'laborious'. The perceptual process in art has a purpose all its own and ought to be extended to the fullest. Art is a means of experiencing the process of creativity. The artifact itself is quite unimportant." [V. Shklovsky, Art as Device, 1917]

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, thank you very much, jheem! And, welcome to wordcraft! Big Grin Wink Cool Smile
You obviously have a lot to add to our board! We are a relatively small group, but we are friendly and quite dedicated to language. We hope you stay with us!

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kalleh. I'm looking forward to reading and getting to know folks. I've been in love with words since I figured out that all those squiggles on a page meant something.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I figured out that all those squiggles on a page meant
something.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Always nice to see someone new on the board. Welcome, make yourself at home. Big Grin

Every silver lining has a cloud.
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WinterBranch
posted Hide Post
This has been enlightening. I've heard the expression "Brechtian" used and just nodded, sagely. "Ahhh, yes, isn't it?" I'm sure I can't be the only one who's done that!

Next up--someone REALLY explain what 'mis en scene' is?

I'd be ever so grateful. Razz

Posts: 222 | Location: TexasReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
WinterBranch-- Mise-en-scene was originally a stage theatrical term meaning how actors, props, and scenery are "placed in the scene" (the phrase's literal French meaning) or on the stage. So, it's partially setting and blocking (where actors are to be located at certain times during a scene). In film theory, it came to have a slightly more specialized meaning. Growing out of theoretical / critical writings that the future New Wave directors(e.g., Godard, Truffaut, Rohmer) did for Andre Bazin's journal Cahiers de Cinema. It was a style of film editing that was reacting against Eisenstein's montage and Hollywoood's coupage americaine (American editing). Mise-en-scene tended to favor long shots of actors acting with little or no cutting. Hollywood did, and still does, favor a kind of editing where a scene is shot first as a continuous master shot (usually a long shot) from beginning to end, and then a bunch of coverage, from medium shots to close ups, over the shoulders of listening actors, etc. This allows the director / editor to have a lot of different choices when in the editing room. Hope that helps.