Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Word Concerning Argumentation!

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Word Concerning Argumentation! Login/Join

posted
Hello, I recently learned and forgot a special word: It describes arguing to win rather than to seek the truth. Does anyone know this word? Please help, it's driving me crazy.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a word like that at the moment, Talisman, but welcome, anyway!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
Perhaps indoctrination, or brainwashing?

Good to see a new poster - I hope you'll stick around!

Geoff

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

posted Hide Post
Not indoctrination, not brainwashing. The word specifically describes the action of arguing to win rather than to seek the truth.

<Proofreader>
posted
Politicking

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, try again.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ARGGHHH!!! NO!!!!! Listen people, if it's the word I'm looking for, which is a single word, not a compound noun, then when you enter it into dictionary.com or look it up, the definition will read more or less: an argument/arguing to be right/to win instead of seeking the truth. Come on, word people. You're better than this.

posted Hide Post
I REMEMBERED THE WORD! Let's see if anyone here is smart enough to figure it out.

<Proofreader>
posted
You win.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Well that goes without saying, but thank you for making it explicit for the less perceptive.

posted Hide Post
Is this a troll?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Talisman:
I REMEMBERED THE WORD! Let's see if anyone here is smart enough to figure it out.

"Smart enough to figure it out?" If someone doesn't know your word they are not smart? Or maybe the word can be established from deductive reasoning.

Maybe you can share exactly how you "figured out" your magic word. Perhaps you have an algorithm no one else has never thought of.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
ARGGHHH!!! NO!!!!! Listen people, if it's the word I'm looking for, which is a single word, not a compound noun, then when you enter it into dictionary.com or look it up, the definition will read more or less: an argument/arguing to be right/to win instead of seeking the truth. Come on, word people. You're better than this.

Sounds like a pretty good definition of religious proselytising.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And in the end, after the apoplectic cries of children and apodictic passive-aggression of women, the sun set on a scene of ataraxia, nature extending infinitely in all directions, harmony enveloping the perpetual, singular consciousness of land, grass, wind.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I've been busy at work and have been off WC for a couple of days. Talisman, this is a friendly site, where we enjoy talking about words. If you'd like to join that sort of forum, we'd love to welcome you. If not, we understand. There are lots of the other types out there.

posted Hide Post
Kalleh, thanks for the passive-aggressive diplomacy/condescension. If you'd like to tell me what problem you have specifically, I welcome it. If not, I understand.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The word specifically describes the action of arguing to win rather than to seek the truth.
So far it seems that bullying, bloviation, and/or trolling are all appropriate.

posted Hide Post
On the internet, a stronger voice is always qualified as that of a bully or troll or arrogance. Sad to say I'm not even trying.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Sad to say I'm not even trying.

You canbe even less appealing?

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Only from your subjective perspective, where appeal is commensurate with ignorance. The best part of all of this is that you're all host to such insecure egos that not a single one of you has asked what the word was, and yet I'm somehow the one acting in discordance with the aims of a vocabulary forum. Unwitting comedians, all of you.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Talisman. Hi, I'm one of the admins here. I am going to lock this thread down now before things go out of control. I suggest you play nice with the others or get lost!

Ceci n'est pas un seing.