Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

small talk Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have read a few articles lately (the most recent by a favorite columnist, Garrison Keillor) saying that small talk has all but disappeared. Keillor says, "You stand in line...people are busy texting, Googling, checking their inboxes, you hesitate to say, "Beautiful weather we're having." Indeed, I've been on an elevator and tried making small talk, only to see the person have to remove his/her ear plugs, sometimes looking a bit annoyed.

The article also talks about small being the hardest language for foreigners to get a handle on because it isn't the words as much as the tone, harrumph, sigh and nonsense sounds. When Keillor lived in Denmark, it was hard finding the equivalents of "Oy" or "uff da" or "yikes.

Thoughts about small talk?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I've never been good at small talk, its disappearance hasn't bothered me. I have, however, observed people greeting others with "How ya doin'?" The response is never anything but an echo - another "How ya doin'?" I usually break the pattern by stating, "I died last Thursday, but keep forgetting to lie down and quit breathing." Most people look disgusted and quickly depart, lest whatever contagion I have should afflict them.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
My Dad always used to reply "The Doctor says I can get up for a bit tomorrow."

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Small talk never generates big thoughts.

When people say "How ya doing?", my answer is "Too soon to tell."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree that it doesn't generate big thoughts. However, it connects people. And, who knows, if the connection is right, it may promote a relationship where big thoughts are eventually generated. It certainly is better that noses in iPads and ear buds in ears 24/7, which is what we see now.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post