Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summits Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
As part of my job I make a list of conferences and similar events that colleagues are due to speak at in the near future, for publication on our intranet. I noticed this week that two events were calling themselves 'summits' - I can't recall seeing this more than once or twice a year in the past.

Presumably the name is after the summit conferences between the USA and USSR presidents during the cold war and the intention is to indicate that only the people at the top of the profession are involved, possibly in an ego-massaging exercise.

Does this happen in the USA? Has anyone else seen it?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I don't know that you can call those events "summits" but at least the state has finally bought the rights to Rhode Island's summit, Jerimoth Hill. As you can tell from the video, the trip to the top of this massive 812-foot peak is truly impressive and a certain tourist attraction which will provide income for a cash-strapped economy well into the future. Plans are being developed to emove all the foreign debris, like trees and bushes, and plant more efficient and profitable plantings like McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts. See you there.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes. We have a number of Summits, Arnie. I am familiar with our Executive Officer Summit, the Summit of Sages, the Informational Technology Summit, and those are only a few. Actually, a couple of years ago we decided that terming them summits or forums or conferences or conventions or assemblies or seminars or symposiums make these sorts of "conferences" confusing. So, at least where I work, we call them all "conferences." I do, however, think there are differences between at least some of them and would like to be able to choose what best describes the gathering. For a "Summit," for example, it's more a gathering of chiefs, thus our Executive Officer Summit.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The two this week aren't for people at the very top of the profession. One was for school headteachers and governors, and the other was for school careers advisers. As in the USA, organisers seem to call their events by many names, although 'conference' is by far the most common.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That wouldn't be a Summit here then, unless people weren't using the word correctly -which does happen.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post