Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel terms Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I started thinking (FINALLY!!!) and realized that we have expressions from each era of travel. "Off the beaten path" for foot traffic, "backwater town" for marine travel, "jerkwater" for rail travel, "airline" for air travel, etc. What others might we add?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Columbus Ohio's just a wide place in the road.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have worked in the travel industry my whole life and have never heard of any of the expressions cited, except "airline". "Off the beaten path" I know, but to me it means travel, by any means, on a route that is less well-used.

But travel has many, many terms, some of which have almost disappeared from use. The "Grand Tour" is one name that springs to mind as obsolete.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asa, I was thinking about your topic and remembered that someone said that the internet is a vast number of rooms with no hallways. You can put a doorway to any other room just by putting a link on your page. You don't even need the other person's permission or knowledge. That being said, to be in a chat room or to link to another room may be considerd a new method of travel? maybe?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Australians talk about going on a "walkabout".

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A journey is from the Old French journée "a day's work or travel".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post