Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Invacuation Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Our office recently held an 'invacuation' exercise. I'd not come across the word before but its meaning was not hard to guess. Essentially, whereas an evacuation has us leaving the building, during an invacuation we are supposed to gather at a point within the building, in our case in the underground car park. It's used when evacuation wouldn't be appropriate, for instance during a bomb scare nearby. I found this blog post from 2008 about it, and the word appears in several online dictionaries.

Have you come across the word or even taken part in a similar exercise? What do you think of the word?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'm sure Kalleh will testify to the accuracy of my remark since she is in the medical profession. An "evacuatioh" is an enema, so an "invacuation" would be a sign of constipation.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
An "evacuatioh" is an enema

I assume the h on the end is a typo, or is it to signify their reaction? Eek

I don't think an evacuation of the bowels necessarily involves an enema; it could be produced naturally.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
it could be produced naturally.

If only that were so....

<Proofreader>
posted
After thinking this over, when you posted that "typo" that I made I couldn't see the typo you referred to since the font that appears on my screen is sans serif and hard for me to see. I didn't realize it at the time but for some reason my spell checker didn't flag that word as incorrect. I tried typing it again, spelling it wrong, and for some reason it still won't mark it as misspelled, even though the spell checker works for other words.

posted Hide Post
I've not seen it used, but, as you said, its meaning is clear. It reminds me of "inmigration," a bit of jargon among planners, geographers, and such.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
After thinking this over, when you posted that "typo" that I made I couldn't see the typo you referred to since the font that appears on my screen is sans serif and hard for me to see. I didn't realize it at the time but for some reason my spell checker didn't flag that word as incorrect. I tried typing it again, spelling it wrong, and for some reason it still won't mark it as misspelled, even though the spell checker works for other words.

Interesting. What browser are you using? My (British English) spullchucker in Chrome marks it quite clearly.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
In the finale of season 1, Homeland series, officials under fire invacuate to a chamber accessed by the tunnels under the Capitol buildings.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Interesting. What browser are you using? My (British English) spullchucker in Chrome marks it quite clearly.

I think it's a glitch in my program. I've gotten several others, so I'm keeping an eye on what eye rite.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We have all these new Emergency Responses, but this isn't one, arnie. We have a "Lockdown," which means to hide under a desk or in a closet or somewhere protected, in case of an active shooter. Another is "Shelter in Place." This is for severe storms, demonstrations that have escalated to violence, extreme life-threatening temperatures (???), explosives or chemical contaminants. Then there is "Fire Emergency," which of course includes fires, but also bomb threats, hostages, electrical outages, falling glass, medical emergencies, storms, telephone outages, odors (???).

I assume our Lockdown is your invacuation?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I assume our Lockdown is your invacuation?

Perhaps, although the idea is that everyone leaves their desk and assembles in one place. We used the underground car park, which can hold everyone who works in the building. The guy who wrote the blog post I linked to wasn't perhaps to lucky: they had to stand around in the stair wells - presumably their building didn't have anywhere suitable for everyone to come together.

<Proofreader>
posted
We don't have an invacuation plan for our house. However, in an emergency, everyone is to form a protective cordon around me.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I just skimmed the 13 pages again, and under "Sheltering in Place" it says, "This is not the same as going to an underground shelter," which yours seems to be. Indeed, none of the safety instructions mention an underground shelter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I don't think the fact that it's underground has any bearing on the matter. I gather that any suitably-sized area would be OK. Our building used to be a large church which was bombed during the war. The façade is still standing and makes an imposing entrance. The old church crypt is now mostly a car park.

posted Hide Post
I'm sure Proofreader remembers the old Cold War spoof sign, "In case of attack, hide under desk, place head between legs, and kiss your ass goodbye."

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post