Wordcraft Community Home Page
Do you have some favorite made-up words?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/5610074686

March 28, 2017, 20:46
Kalleh
Do you have some favorite made-up words?
I asked my daughter how she liked my new haircut, and she said, "It's snazzola!" I made up that word a long time ago, and we all use it. It means really, really snazzy! Another name I've made up is "yahooligan." It is a combination of yahoo and hooligan, making the person both an uncultivated lout and a hoodlum

Do you have some?
March 29, 2017, 04:52
Geoff
"Spazzwad," 'gliffle," "yangaloid mongohedron,"
and gretch" Those are nonsense. "Etrahation," form Latin ex," and "trahere," literally meaning, "to drag through," is the word I use for teaching to the test. See Kalleh's "Words from the far left and the far right" in The Written Word.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,
March 30, 2017, 07:30
sattva
Kalleh, I have noticed Geoff makes up new words all the times. He puts a twist on existing words. It amuses me the way he is able to do this, a talent I definitely don't have.
April 02, 2017, 19:53
Kalleh
I have noticed that, too, Sattva. For example, he made up the word "daffynition" in the bluffing game. I am not as good as Geoff is, but I do it too. My son always used to like those Pepperidge Farm Flavor Blasted Xtra Cheddar Goldfish. What a name! So I started calling them Blasters, and then my son and all his friends called them that, too.

What about yours, Sattva?
April 03, 2017, 11:33
arnie
quote:
Pepperidge Farm Flavor Blasted Xtra Cheddar Goldfish

You eat goldfish?? Red Face

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
April 04, 2017, 14:44
Geoff
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:

You eat goldfish?? Red Face
Only the ones from Cheddar, Somerset, I'll bet.
April 05, 2017, 20:40
Kalleh
Yep, they are little crackers .
April 06, 2017, 04:56
Geoff
Whew! I'm glad it's not THESE crackers! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(pejorative)
April 06, 2017, 08:51
bethree5
A college friend invented an adjective from the epithet "a-----e" ("a-----ular," accent on "hol"). Still love that word.
April 09, 2017, 21:32
Kalleh
I like Geoff's T. Rump.