Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Do you have some favorite made-up words?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have some favorite made-up words? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I asked my daughter how she liked my new haircut, and she said, "It's snazzola!" I made up that word a long time ago, and we all use it. It means really, really snazzy! Another name I've made up is "yahooligan." It is a combination of yahoo and hooligan, making the person both an uncultivated lout and a hoodlum

Do you have some?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Spazzwad," 'gliffle," "yangaloid mongohedron,"
and gretch" Those are nonsense. "Etrahation," form Latin ex," and "trahere," literally meaning, "to drag through," is the word I use for teaching to the test. See Kalleh's "Words from the far left and the far right" in The Written Word.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, I have noticed Geoff makes up new words all the times. He puts a twist on existing words. It amuses me the way he is able to do this, a talent I definitely don't have.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that, too, Sattva. For example, he made up the word "daffynition" in the bluffing game. I am not as good as Geoff is, but I do it too. My son always used to like those Pepperidge Farm Flavor Blasted Xtra Cheddar Goldfish. What a name! So I started calling them Blasters, and then my son and all his friends called them that, too.

What about yours, Sattva?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pepperidge Farm Flavor Blasted Xtra Cheddar Goldfish

You eat goldfish?? Red Face

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:

You eat goldfish?? Red Face
Only the ones from Cheddar, Somerset, I'll bet.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yep, they are little crackers .

posted Hide Post
Whew! I'm glad it's not THESE crackers! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(pejorative)

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
A college friend invented an adjective from the epithet "a-----e" ("a-----ular," accent on "hol"). Still love that word.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I like Geoff's T. Rump.