Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Morcellation? Login/Join

posted
Why the use of a "c" in morcellation when the word is derived from the same root as morsel? https://www.google.com/webhp?s...q=morsel%20etymology

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Just a layman here... the word was spelled "morsel" in both Engl & French (including the version of French that was used in England, in court & society for centuries after the Norman conquest) until about the 15thc., at which point the French started spelling it "morceau" (while it stayed "morsel" in English). I gather the word 'morcellation' is medical? (no Fr equivalent) Not sure why the scientists chose a Frankish spelling.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OED says morcellation was borrowed from French morceler "to divide", influenced by some other French words like morcellement. I guess the French words were respelled with c because s and c represented the same sound in that environment.

posted Hide Post
I guess that explains the Anglo-French mime Morsel Morceau. Wink

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've been wondering about that word morcellation, too, since it has been so much in the news. I had no idea it came from morsel, but that makes perfect sense.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post