Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Names !! Login/Join

Picture of Meshal
posted
It's Strange how nations do give names to their children. Arab give Animals' names like Lion, cheetah,wolf, Tiger and falcon, for men and deer and turtledove for a women. or names like "saber" or "torch", Do you believe that? a person called "torch", well, should you do believe, I'm "torch=Meshal " and it's wonderful name Here in Saudi Arabia. also the former king here his name is "cheetah=Fahad"
In English I just know two names Wood and Lion and as I know there was a king called Richard Heart's Lion.

So, what is the strangest name have you ever heard except my name?

PS:Please don't hesitate to correct any mistake I have made.

~~~~~~~~~~~Signature~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are cordially invited to inform me of the mistakes I make, so that I can correct them. I'm learning English, and it's quite different from Arabic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We seldom think of what we have, but we always think of what we miss ~ pope john paul II ~

Posts: 59 | Location: Riyadh, Saudi ArabiaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Placenames and personal names are indeed interesting. So interesting that the study of names has a name: onomastics. There are placenames (toponyms), nicknames (hypocorisms), surnames, patronyms, and ethnonyms (including exonyms and endonyms).

Many people in predominately Christian countries have names of famous saints (holy people), which in turn have obscure meanings in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Gaelic, or some other language associated with early Christendom. Puritans (a Protestant sect) started a tradition of naming their children after abstract concepts like Faith, Prudence, or Charity. In some cultures children are given secret names known only to themselves and a select few. They are also given public names. Knowing somebody's real name could give you power over them. We have recreated this online as everybody uses pseudonyms and noms de guerre (for protection during flame wars and similar to noms de plume).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't have a comprehensive knowledge of the names that we use here in the U.S., but I do know about those in my family. The origin of my name is "grace;" my husband's "fire born" or "good looking;" one daughter's "pure;" another daugther's means "to bind," though the Biblical reference is the maiden of beauty, modesty, and kindness; and my son's is "beloved."

So...I think the origin of our names may be different. I suppose there are some that have the animal origin, but many don't. However, again, I am not an expert on this.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There are several sites on the Internet giving lists of names, aimed at new parents. One of the most comprehensive is at
http://www.behindthename.com/

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meshal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Meshal:
Thanks a lot Zmjezhd,

I learnt from somthing from you.

Kalleh,

"Grace", "beloved","pure" are origins of Arabic names also.
God plesse your family Smile

ArnieThanks,

The site is useful, it's in my favorites now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bloom" or "Rose" also is a femele name here!-Here means every where in this situation-.
But really the strangest name I have heard is "street=Sha'rea" !! and it's a male name.
There is a proverb said "Every person has somthing from his name"
So if the name here is Rose she supposes to be beautifl or has some beauty and if his name is Lion he supposes to have some courage- Hope with out bloody-.
Do you agree with this proverb?! well, before you answer me, look around you and remember your family names and your friends names then tell me, please. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~Signature~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are cordially invited to inform me of the mistakes I make, so that I can correct them. I'm learning English, and it's quite different from Arabic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We seldom think of what we have, but we always think of what we miss ~ pope john paul II ~

Posts: 59 | Location: Riyadh, Saudi ArabiaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
In my own family there are last names that have meanings derived from our ancestors' occupations. My German folks must have made barrels, for their name was Cooper. My husband's family has both Theis (teacher) and Shultheis (school teacher), as well as Williams (changed from Wilhelm, meaning "helmet" or "stubborn").

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...the more I think about my family's names, the more I realize they are all true...except for mine! I most definitely am not "graceful;" just ask my aerobics teacher. Wink Oh, well. I never did like my name anyway.

Really, though, the rest of my family's names work quite well.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Bloom" or "Rose" also is a femele name here!-

My first name comes the ancient Greek verb 'thalo' which means 'to blossom' and my last name means 'the one to be trusted' because my great-great grandfather was a shepherd and the villagers entrusted him with their sheep and goats.

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Sikhism, apparently all boys are given the middle name or last name Singh ਸਿੰਘ, which means "tiger". It is from the same Sanskrit word as Sinhala, a language spoken in Sri Lanka.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
In a similar way, Sikh girls are given the middle or last name Kaur, meaning "princess".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Singh

I think it means lion in Sanskrit. It occurs also in the name of the city at the southern end of the Malay peninsula: Singapore, city of the lion.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post