Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toe Up Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
This is a common phrase among knitters. Those of us who knit socks can either knit them "top down" or "toe up".

A friend of mine writes in his blog that he is trying to get a vanity license plate that says "TOE UP" but the censors in the license bureau has ruled that it is a varient of "tore up" according to the Urban Dictionary.

Even his appeal to the license bureau hasn't worked.

I know we've discussed the unreliability of that source many times. What examples do you all have of how that source isn't true?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Try looking up "penguin".

Here are some of the "definitions"

quote:

An extremely cool bird that will kill all who do not absolutly love it and has the potential to invent space travel and wish to establish a colony on Pluto

A penguin is one of the two magical creatures of Earth. They are extremely skilled at martial arts and are reliable agents of espionage. Penguins can traverse quickly through the water and are unaffected by sub-arctic temperatures. Penguins claim to be the original pioneers of space travel.

IT'S FLUFFY BIRD NOT A FUCKING BLOW JOB. Sometimes it eats popcorn in the morning. And sometims it wears a WIMPLE ON ITS ICY HEAD.

The creature you can steal from Antartica without authorities noticing.

small aquatic bird that I want as a pet to swim through my foyer once I own a gigantic manshion

The most powerfull and potent creature on the face of the Earth. Bent on controlling the worlds major vacum factories....... they want the world too... And the cheese-flavoured fish.

I don't need to go on surely. They do though for another sixty two definitions of utter b*******s

You mean there are people who take this crap seriously enough to cite it as a reference source? Ye Gods. The world is in a worse state than I thought.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Some more words plucked from the air at random as "defined" on the urban dictionary.

armchair
quote:
Gobshite who supports Liverpool FC (redshite), wears lots of scarves, badges and XXL replica shirts bought from local market but has never been near Anfield. Normally appears slightly retarded,overweight and in need of a wash. Shouts and applauds loudly and stupidly at TV when the redshite are on Sky. Has no friends.

tree

quote:
something that sits in the ground and remains in the same spot for hundreds of years but manages to jump out in front of you on your way home from the pub

radio

quote:
A cd player that only has three cds:

Linkin park
Tool
Disturbed
Korn

silence

quote:
The sound made by wolves with rabies when they are outside your house waiting to come in and eat you. Also made by mountain lions and even emus.

Just tell them to pick ANY word at random. Works every time. The only thing that the Urban Dictionary defines accurately is bullshit.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even his appeal to the license bureau hasn't worked.

I assume that the license bureau is a government department and as such is run by the government, using your money. Which means it works for you and you, through the electoral process, select those who ultimately choose its employees.

So get in touch with your government representative (I have an MP, I believe you have Senators) and tell them to extract their digits and get this incompetent nonsense sorted out!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Of tree) something that sits in the ground and remains in the same spot for hundreds of years but manages to jump out in front of you on your way home from the pub

At least that is slightly amusing. Not that it proves anything. Why doesn't this friend add his own definition to the UD? He could then point to that as the meaning ...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
license bureau

Hmm, they tend to talk funny in the Midwest. I've always gone to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) to get a driver's license or license plates. (They do make you stand in (or on) line for a long time, though since the Web, one can make an appointment and shorten that queuing experience.) Since vanity plates are some kind of marketing gimmick—they cost extra and I've never bought one—I could care less [sic] whether the DMV wants to control the wording of same. The solution is to simply get rid of vanity plates, and let people read hidden messages from the Other in random series of letters and digits.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
When my Chinese friend in Taiwan acquired his Porsche (model 911) back in the year 2000 he was issued a run-of-the-mill license plate bearing the number 0911-NY. For a couple of reasons it looks like a "vanity plate," but he says it was just luck.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
For a couple of reasons it looks like a "vanity plate," but he says it was just luck.

I think, if I ever suffered myself to buy a vanity plate, it would be a random, seemingly real-looking number.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few hundred years ago California had no vanity plates and license numbers had the format [NNN CCC] where N was a digit and C was a letter. Talk show host Johnny Carson was issued [360 GUY] or, as Ed McMahon put it, "All-Around Guy".

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Excellent suggestions, comments and advice. Please keep them coming! I've alerted my friend to this thread (again). I wonder if he'll join up and post?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post