Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Precious Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was telling Shu about a ridiculous way that my daughter's friend spells his very common name, and Shu said, "How 'precious!' I did not understand his use of the word, as I have always thought of "precious" as meaning "having a high value" or being "held in high esteem." I have considered it to be a rather precious word, Wink not with negative connotations. In fact, Shu had meant that the odd spelling of his name was "affected."

When I looked it up in the OED, Shu is right. In fact, other negative definitions include:

displaying, or using careful and fastidious delicacy or refinement in language, workmanship, etc.; often with an implication of being over-nice or over-refined. Interesting that it can be used to describe the use of language.

. colloq. a. As an intensive of something bad, worthless, or reprobated: Egregious, out-and-out, arrant; in some uses, a mere emotional intensive.

Ironically, Of little worth, worthless, good-for-nothing.

How do you use "precious?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
We sneaks up to the nassty goblinses with it and we wrings their neckss, yess we does.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've certainly seen, and probably used, that meaning of 'precious' before, although it's not all that common.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
We sneaks up to the nassty goblinses with it and we wrings their neckss, yess we does.

LOL - that's the first thing that came to my own mind, too. Nicely done, aput.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Precious is often used to describe a "cute" mannerism of a child. Such mannerisms quickly disappear with age, and mothers tend to cherish them, thus being precious to them.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I remember when I was first a Children's Librarian, and we were having an indoor beach party in the middle of winter. There was a very young child there whose name was (and probably still is) Precious. I can still hear that mother's voice in my head as the child was being quite disruptive (she was way too young for the program, really) saying "come here, Precious. Sit down, please, Precious" and so on.

To me, it is one of those names that is nice for a child, but won't grow up well.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Names and their connotations have always fascinated me, and I agree that "Precious" is not a name that will grow up well. (And I like the way you put that, Cat.) But this brought to mind the name of an 88-year-old lady I know whose first name is "Dearly." I find her name quite charming. The words/names are very closely related, yet I like one and dislike the other, and I'd be hard-pressed to explain why.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
A timelly example in the book review at the end of today's Wall Street Journal:
quote:
Keats ... suffered from the principal limitation of [Leigh] Hunt's charm and affection: his persistent triviality of mind. Hunt depressed Keats by writing arch and precious verse that uncomfortably resembled Keats's own.
arch²: ... 2. Mischievous, roguish
precious: ...4. Affectedly dainty or overrefined

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post