Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Where Have You Gone . . . ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Have You Gone . . . ? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Professor Josiah Carberry will not be adding his ideas to the Wordcraft forums this evening. He will, as usual, be notably absent. For those unfamiliar with the good professor, read his bio.

In that article, a Carberry Fund is mentioned which is to be used to "buy books or other materials which Professor Carberry may or may not like."

You may have noticed a line to be clicked which says, "Books purchased on the Fund." My question is, is this an odd way to phrase it or not?

I would have said, "Books purchased [by] or [with] the Fund." But this is Brown University and they cannot be wrong.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps similar to "Dinner is on me."

"Don't pay for mine. I am on per diem, so it's on the company"

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Myth Jellies:
I am on per diem,

This guy bought you lunch?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngo_Dinh_Diem

<Proofreader>
posted
A professor of high pedigree
Provides the Brown campus with glee.
His field dynamic’s
Psycho-ceramics,
The study of crackpots, you see.

J. Carberry, visiting prof,
Is Brown’s way of making you scoff.
There’s always conjecture
If he’ll make his lecture
But so far it’s always called off.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Yesterday with time on my hands I read the latest chapter of Bob Hale's one-chapter-per-week book. The chapter I read is about Cusco and its environs.

I noticed an element of writing style that I had not seen in recent decades. I think Jack London did it in some of his writing. Each apostrophe is followed immediately by a blank space. A little later I was reading what stella had written, and there again is the apostrophe followed by a blank space.

Now I have read Proofreader's two most recent limericks and I see that he, too, follows each apostrophe with a blank space.

Is this a fad? Or is it a trend?

Why ???

~~~~~~~ jerry

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
Yesterday with time on my hands I read the latest chapter of Bob Hale's one-chapter-per-week book. The chapter I read is about Cusco and its environs.

I noticed an element of writing style that I had not seen in recent decades. I think Jack London did it in some of his writing. Each apostrophe is followed immediately by a blank space. A little later I was ready what stella had written, and there again is the apostrophe followed by a blank space.

Now I have read Proofreader's two most recent limericks and I see that he, too, follows each apostrophe with a blank space.

Is this a fad? Or is it a trend?

Why ???

~~~~~~~ jerry

Well for my part it isn't intentional and it doesn't show up that way on my computer. Is it perhaps a quirk of the computer system you're using?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I think you're right, Bob. I certainly don't add a blank after an apos. And it doesn't show up in the previous post here, although Jerry said it does on his screen. I also haven't noticed anything in Stella's posts that match what Jerry describes.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
No doubt it is a quirk of the computer I am using. I am adding it to my Long List of Mysteries of the Orient.

~~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post