Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virgin Raisins? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
In The End of Faith, Sam Harris quotes a scholar of ancient Semitic languages as saying that a mistranslation of the Aramaic word, "hur," meaning "white raisins," entered Arabic as "virgins." Thus those who enter the Islamic Paradise may be surprised to end up not with some willing women but a hand full of dried grapes.
Comments, please, from those of you who speak Aramaic and/or Arabic.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Well, this could certainly change some things, couldn't it?

. . . . although it makes me think of that old commercial with the singing raisins . . . heard it through the grapevine . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...

"White Raisin Atlantic" doesn't have quite the same ring, does it? Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
although it makes me think of that old commercial with the singing raisins . . . heard it through the grapevine

Precisely my thoughts, CW! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
[QUOTE]although it makes me think of that old commercial with the singing raisins . . . heard it through the grapevine

Funny that you should mention that. Back in the mid-eighties I shared an apartment with the man who built that particular raisin at Will Vinton Productions, the Portland company that made that commercial. Small world! The commercial was shot with the "clay-mation" process, using clay raisins shot a frame at a time, repositioned, shot again, etc...

Reply With QuoteReport This Post