Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Orthogonal: Used properly here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Orthogonal: Used properly here? Login/Join

posted
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money...uld-be-legal?ps=cprs

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mathematically, "orthogonal" means "at right angles" rather than "in opposite directions". I've seen it used metaphorically to mean "independent", so A and B might be considered "orthogonal" if A had no influence on B. However I don't think that's the intended meaning here since the two interests are described as "pulling in opposite directions".

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Guy has nailed it.

As far as I've ever been aware it can be used in its strict mathematical sense of at right angles, though there are other more complicated ways of saying what amounts to the same thing.
It can also be used, by extension from this, to mean "independent" where, in a system, variables which have no effect upon each other can be described as "orthogonal".

This looks to me like someone who doesn't really know what the word means trying to use it in a metaphorical sense and saying something other than what he actually means.

It does NOT mean opposed to in any sense in which I have ever seen it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
orthogonal

The meaning I hear these days is the one from computer science (link and link), but then I don't hang with many mathematicians.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post