Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    The thrill of the hunt...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The thrill of the hunt... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was an article in the Tribune about adults, in recent years, stripping away the euphemisms that we used to use for body parts and instead teaching kids the real names. I hadn't thought about this, but the the article talked about these words (like "vagina" or "scrotum")being "buried deep on forbidden texts" and children had to "excavate them and learn their meaning." The article asks, "Remember when you learned the real word for the body part lurking behind the euphemism? Wasn't it awesome, even exotic?"

What do you think? Do any of you remember "excavating" these words? Can't say that I do, but I do remember hearing the "f" word and asking my mother what it meant. She said it was one of the worst words we have and then changed the subject. I guess I can think of a few worse ones. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It is generally understood that small boys, on opening a dictionary, will immediately look up "rude" words. Not having been one, I can't speak about little girls, but I suspect many will do the same.

It being many years since I was a small boy, I can't really remember "excavating" these words, but I am certain I did.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I don't remember searching for the words for body parts. I do remember searching for obscure naughty words so we could use them to insult the boys, though. I didn't think to look up dirty words in dictionaries until I was in college, though. How boring is THAT?

Oh . . .wait . . . I must have tried to look them up earlier than that because I had the certain knowledge that most of the dirty words weren't even IN the dictionary I had. It was in college that I met my friend, Andrea, who had a dictionary that had THOSE words included. Yay!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
It is generally understood that small boys, on opening a dictionary, will immediately look up "rude" words. Not having been one, I can't speak about little girls, but I suspect many will do the same.

I'm a bit confused: Arnie, you were never a small boy? You are Athena's brother, and sprang from the thigh of Zeus full-grown? Confused

"Forbidden fruit" always carries power; once it's commonplace the power wanes.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
My mother, being a librarian, believed in teaching us the proper terms for all the body parts, including the "rude" ones, but we also learned that you didn't say those words in public. Now you can say those words right out loud in mixed company and only those of us above a certain age flinch even inwardly!

My excavations involved going to the paperback book rack in the back of the local pharmacy where many of us went after school for a soda. Several of us girls would sneak off to the back and take a copy of Peyton Place down and thumb through looking for the sex scenes! The owner of the store would come back and shoo us away. Of course our giggling gave us away. That's the about the only excavating I can remember.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Wordmatic, you remind me of my ex-sister-in-law's term for coitus: Spelunking. Well, it IS a kinda cave-like and, to us men, something to be explored! Big Grin

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Quote: Well, it IS a kinda cave-like

Gives a whole new meaning to the song Clementine ...

In a cavern,
in a canyon,
Excavating ...
Wink

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Right you are, and many an enterprising woman went west during the gold rush because she knew there'd be gold in them thar caves!

There used to be a saying, "The forty-niners were the miners/The fifties were the whores/ the fifty-ones were native sons!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Same tune, somewhat differently stated ...

The miners came in forty-nine,
The whores in fifty-one,
And when they got together
They produced the native son.

Confused

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I don't know whether it's ever been done, but a treatise on the undoubted entrepreneurial skills of prostitutes over the millennia would be a fascinating read.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I did my spelunking in novels. I was a junkie fiction reader, & whenever I ran out of Oz/Nancy Drew/etc., I turned to the living room bookshelves. My mother was in a book-of-the-month club and there were always sure to be one or two racy tomes in with the better literature.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post