New
Find
Notify
Tools

de facto Login/Join

posted
In

https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/2751043414

arnie brings up an interesting point that deserves a thread of its own. Does a motive have to be conscious in order to qualify as conspiratorial? For example, forces of the right oppose abortion and contraception ostensibly on religious grounds. Yet increasing population on the right promotes its objectives; eg, in the ideological realm increased political force; and in the pecuniary sector, more bodies. That is, more consumers and therefore higher profits

Therefore am I not correct using "de facto" to describe all the side benefits of a position that are vehemently or consciously denied by its proponents

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I think "de facto" suggests a particular result separate from any claimed intent.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, so do I

Any further inputs welcome

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dalehileman:
In Does a motive have to be conscious in order to qualify as conspiratorial?
Therefore am I not correct using "de facto" to describe all the side benefits of a position that are vehemently or consciously denied by its proponents

I share you view. De facto approximates to: as a matter of fact, i.e. a happening or occurrence of any description. It bears no meaning of motive, intention or conspiring.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pearce: While you might be technically correct,in its meaning of "actually," I entertain a strong feeling that it's often used to imply that the subject is either hiding his real motives, is not aware of them, or is acting on behalf of an outside agency that has misinformed him of its agenda

Although Abdul claims to have been acting at the instructions of Allah when he opened up in a crowded grocery story, the real or de facto reason for his behavior is simply that, for early reasons of the tribe's defense and survival, and clearly attributable to the normal progress of evolution, male humans enjoy an occasional display of violence. Thus some facets of his religion encouraged him to act in their expression