Wordcraft Community Home Page
A toxic question

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/6230066186

February 05, 2016, 05:11
shufitz
A toxic question
What's the difference between a venom a toxin?
How is a poison different?
February 05, 2016, 21:11
Kalleh
Others might have more to say, but I knew we had talked about this before, and I found this.
February 12, 2016, 10:48
bethree5
Here's another one: VENIN,
defined as any of the poisonous constituents of animal venoms

TOXIN is defined (full def at MW) as a specific product of the metabolic activities of a living organism. But don't I routinely hear the word 'toxin' used to describe chemical contaminants?
February 14, 2016, 09:21
arnie
quote:
don't I routinely hear the word 'toxin' used to describe chemical contaminants?

Certainly several minerals, etc, such as mercury, are described as 'toxic'.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
February 14, 2016, 20:12
Kalleh
In medicine the word "toxin" is often used. This link tells about some of the medical toxins, such as the cholera toxin. And they mention lead, too, as a mineral toxin.
February 15, 2016, 18:34
BobHale
Toxin is noawdays largely used as a nonsense word by the "alternative health" cranks selling snake-oil to the masses on the promise that it will "clear the toxins from your body". It won't for several reasons. First, in the sense they are trying to use it toxins don't exist. Second, even if they did their products are no more than "woo" - might as well claim that painting your nose blue and doing a dance will clear toxins. Third your body is already well designed to rid itself of whatever toxic byproducts your meatabolism produces.
If anyone offers too sell you something that will rid you of toxins you should offer to swap it for the bridge you bought from a guy in the bar.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
February 16, 2016, 20:26
Kalleh
You're back!! Big Grin

Totally agree. And here is a good article from your own "Guardian" explaining why.
February 16, 2016, 22:15
BobHale
I just saw a typo in my post! But I like the idea of "meatabolism" so much I'm going to leave it. Big Grin
You are right. I am back.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.