Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Endemic Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I read an article saying that since England has begun to fear the three-in-one vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella, they are seeing more cases of measles (duh!). Now, this article stated that England's researchers worry that measles could become "endemic". Is this the correct use? I have always seen "endemic" used to mean "seen in a particular region". Wouldn't the correct term be "epidemic"?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Measles has not been endemic in England for many years because of almost universal vaccination. However, there have been several scare stories in the media (usually unfounded, but since when did that stop a journalist from publishing?) about the combined MMR vaccine and this has led to many parents' deciding not to vaccinate their children.

There is now considerable concern amongst healthcare professionals that measles (along with mumps and rubella) will once again become endemic in England. Since all these diseases can be very dangerous, this is quite a serious concern.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Endemic means it's there all the time.

Epidemic means there is a sudden rapidly-spreading problem, on top of whatever background level there may be.

Deme, demos, whatever, means a population or group.
Endo- and epi- mean within and without/on-top-of.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Endemic means it's there all the time.
Okay, I see the difference then, in this instance. The published definitions (Jerry, I did look them up before posting this! Wink) don't seem to differentiate them that way. I always thought endemic meant that it was confined to a region; as the example on dictionary.com says, "endemic to the tropics."

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
In a country as generally enlightened as the UK, I'm surprised that parents are allowed to send unvaccinated children to school. In the US, most jurisdictions require proof of vaccination before a child enters school. Our educational system is falling apart, but we still get that much right!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our educational system is falling apart,
(roll eyes) I couldn't get the graemlin to work!

In the U.S. there has also been some concern about autism, and other complications, related to the vaccinations.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
This has never been compulsory in the UK, but few parents (mainly those with religious convictions) fail to have it done.

The concern has been over the triple vaccine (MMR) and this is what has caused the problem since many surgeries are unable to offer single vaccines and so may parents are choosing to leave their children unprotected.

I an surprised that vaccination is compulsory in the USA, a country where individual "civil rights and liberties" are so protected.

So far as I am aware, in the UK no medical procedure can be imposed against a patient's (or parent's) wishes unless a court order has been obtained.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
As to compulsory vaccination, Richard notes, "So far as I am aware, in the UK no medical procedure can be imposed against a patient's (or parent's) wishes unless a court order has been obtained."

Apparently, all states allow a religious exemption to vaccination except Mississippi and West Virginia. I can't tell you how matters practically are handled in those two states. A web report of May 2002 states that the American Medical Association was actively seeking abolishment of religious and philosophical exemptions.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post