Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Automatist? Help me define my profession
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automatist? Help me define my profession Login/Join

posted
I program user interfaces on touch screen remote controls for audio/video installations but I'm having trouble defining my profession.

Am I an Automatist? Close... OED Draft '07 says:
automatism:
1. The quality of being automatic, or of acting mechanically only; involuntary action. Hence, the doctrine attributing this quality to animals.

Much of what I do is automatic but it requires user intervention to begin the program. Perhaps a modifier?

Interaction Automatist almost fits...

Can you offer any ideas?
Cordially,
Jonathan

Posts: 5 | Location: Durham, NCReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your job may be part of a trend, currently nameless, in which a malign and unconscious force enslaves us to its own ends. It might be described as a form of widespread, largely mechanical automatomism

https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/1971051005

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Automatist sounds too much to me like you are the one acting on autopilot; (cf. somnambulist for a sleep walker).

What about Automation Engineer or similar if you want to include the "automaton" and "automation" idea?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would call you a User Interface Designer.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heuristic evaluator (or somesuch)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seanahan:
I would call you a User Interface Designer.

How banal! It is accurate, however. Smile

I suppose that I'm looking for something with a more distinct scientific and antique slant but without too much pomposity viz Interactivity Programmist or Operational Interactionist.

I like where you're heading, tsuwm. Great thinking!

posted Hide Post
"Ergonomic Logician" seems to work quite nicely.

ergonomic for the study of people in a working environment plus logician for "a writer on logic". Does that sound too stupid?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
How about ergonomist? Or human factotum from human factors?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
How about a series of a initials after your name-- the sort of acronymic qualifiers preferred by physicians? For example:

Duck A. Types
Remote-to-Touch I.A.D., B.F.

where I.A.D. = Interfacial Analysis & Design,
and B.F. = Button Factotem

Wink

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post