Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

~S Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
The Tribune is promoting the ~S for the SarcMark in this editorial. Apparently the one that has been proposed (picture in the article) was developed by Sarcasm, Inc., out of Michigan, and they charge $1.99 for the software for it. The Tribune's is free!

The article is all in fun, but I see their point. I think a SarcMark would be helpful...perhaps not for all writing, but for more informal writing. Thoughts?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sarc mark looks like a ball of poo coming out of an intestine. I guess that's pretty sarcastic, all right.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great idea. I'm sure it will catch on.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think a SarcMark would be helpful...perhaps not for all writing, but for more informal writing.

We've existed without one for several centuries now, and can't see why its introduction should be needed now. I thought it was irony that Americans didn't understand, not sarcasm? Roll Eyes
quote:
The article is all in fun

Or parhaps it's meant to be sarcastic, despite their disclaimer?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought it was irony that Americans didn't understand, not sarcasm? Roll Eyes

Odd that Bierce's Devil's Dictionary doesn't have an entry for sarcasm. Roll Eyes This, however, is now in fairly common use, even in the USA: Sarchasm: The giant gulf between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought it was irony that Americans didn't understand, not sarcasm?
Aw heck. We understand irony...just not in the same way the British do. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post