Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Testy, Testy Login/Join

posted
It's been a long winter around here. And several times today I heard someone remark that it was time for winter to be over because people were getting real testy.

What is the origin of this usage? Any thoughts?

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting question, Jo, and I don't know off-hand, but I will look later. I am a bit too busy now.

However, I can attest to being testy lately because of this %$#@!*&^ weather! Mad

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Testy is from Middle English testif 'headstrong', > Old French teste 'head' > Late Latin testa 'pot; skull'.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose this has anything to do with giving head... EEK! Did I say that?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't suppose this has anything to do with giving head... EEK! Did I say that?

Well - that's certainly a lovely passtime for when the weather is bad, but I doubt it would have such a negative connotation if that's what it meant.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Testy, testy? Well, yes, testys usually come in pairs.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Well, yes, testys usually come in pairs.

Yes, but testis (testes) 'witness' comes from a different root. And testiculus 'itty-bitty witnesses' is another double diminutive, like cunniculus 'rabbit' somewhere else. And masculus 'male'.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Yes, but testis (testes) 'witness' comes from a different root. .

Of course. Good grief - can't even make a nutty pun around here! Wink

Now, I've never figured out how the word for "witness" came to mean male gonads. And penis and penates, household gods, are related. It all confuses my little brain and I get testy thinking about it. Confused

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey...now this was apropo. In the Chicago Tribune today there was a whole column about Chicago's March being the month of Grump. Mary Schmich even posted a limerick about it:

There once was a season named Grump;
It made me get cranky and plump.
I whined and I whimpered;
I was so ill-tempered
I kicked old March right in the rump!

With a little workshopping, it isn't half bad! Razz

She has a long list of recommendations for the season of Grump that I won't bore you with. However, here are 2 fun ones that I can relate to!

Do not--I repeat DO NOT--discuss weather with your friends in Arizona, Florida or California. "Oh, you should see the flowers!" they'll say. "We sat outside for dinner last night!" "Things are popping up all over in my garden!" Or, the worse, "It's hard to believe it's so cold there when it's so perfect here. Why don't you move?"
That rings a bell with me because my daughter is in college in LA and my father spends the winter in Phoenix. They love talking weather!

Turn off the news. You do not have to consume every piece of grim news available. Read a poem instead. But not the one above!

etc.!

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
can't even make a nutty pun around here!

Did I tell anybody to stop punning?

Now, I've never figured out how the word for "witness" came to mean male gonads.

One theory is that ancient folks swore oaths upon various body parts. (Like children swearing an oath of allegiance to a flag upon their hearts.) But I've always felt that that they were called (little) witness because of the acts they witnessed during their existence.

And penis and penates, household gods, are related.

First time, I've heard this folk etymology. I need to get around more. Usually, penis 'tail; penis' is derived from the PIE root *pet-, *pet@-, *pte:-, *pto:- 'to flee, fall', which root is also related to words for 'bird'; later penis came from an earlier form *pes-ni-s. The word for the gods of the household penates is derived from the PIE root *pen- 'to feed (animal); food nourishment; place where feed is kept'; related Latin words penes 'by, with', penitus '(from) inside, deep, close, in-depth', penetro 'to break in, penetrate, intrude',.

posted Hide Post
Ho, boy did you get that right, Kalleh!

My friends in Washington keep wanting to tell me how their tulips and daffodils are nearly finished. And an especially vicious "friend" sent me a link to the blooming California and Arizona deserts. I was this close to being in the car and gone.

Yesterday a trip to Menard's was made perfect by the displays of fruit and veggie seeds, the Easter lillies (can't have them; the cats would eat them and die), the tulips in pots (bought some for my front porch), and berry vines. I bought a bunch of raspberry starters for the back yard. We have a strip behind the house that pretends to be a back yard that is about 5' wide and as long as the house -- roughly 30'. It will be perfect for two rows of raspberry bushes.

I am now planning my train trip to DC to view the cherry blossoms.

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
What's up with you guys? Don't like fine weather? Trees at work are in full bloom right now, which will probably lead to disaster when the weather goes back to normal in a week or so. Being the IT industry, many have reverted to tee shirts, shorts, and sandals. I was nearly sun-burned yesterday while having a coffee al fresco.

posted Hide Post
THHHHBBBPPPPPPPPP

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It has clouded over now, and the weather forecast is for rain later, but this lunchtime the weather was perfect. A sunny day, with a temperature in the high 60s F. It was a pleasure to be seeing people moving about without heavy overcoats and with smiles on their faces for a change.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
THHHHBBBPPPPPPPPP

Tongue stuck to a frozen lamppost? Try some warm water to loosen.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I'll save jo the trouble of saying this . . .

jheem? you know what you can do with that warm water????

~Dalai Lama

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
you know what you can do with that warm water?

Does it involve rubber tubing?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Right on, CW!

We just had a very boring staff meeting, so I wrote this, and boy is it on target. I am getting crabbier and crabbier each day...where in the world is spring?!

There once was a month we call "Grump"
Upon which, disgust we all dump!
Today it is 20
So I'll order my Venti
And eat, eat, eat, eat 'til I'm plump!

So there!

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
I am getting crabbier and crabbier each day

I, personally, like cooler, overcast days more than the prototypical LA sunshine.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It'll soon be pint of beer in a country pub garden time.

By the way, I had a Smithfield Breakfast at 0900 this morning - a traditional English fry-up in The Market - washed down with a pint of Young's bitter (which they serve from 0600 onwards)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This morning we woke up to snow.
It is March, dammit! Don't those guys know?
The prognosticators,
The weather creators,
The folks who will never eat crow.

They said that our days would be sunny.
Were they lying or just being funny.
My driveway is frozen,
Though my seeds have been chosen
And my garden is icy, not runny.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

]Do not--I repeat DO NOT--discuss weather with your friends in Arizona, Florida or California.

California? You mean the place where torrential rains have washed houses into the ocean? Where deluges have washed freeways away? Yeah, I guess you SHOULDN'T discuss the weather with those folks right now. Razz And Florida? Can you say "H-U-R-R-I-C-A-N-E?" And AridZone? I wouldn't want to brag about 120 degree F weather in Phoenix either!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

posted Hide Post
In California every day is perfect except the day of the earthquake, the day of the fire, the day of the flood and the day of the mudslide.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jheem:
you know what you can do with that warm water?

Does it involve rubber tubing?

yes, dear, and no lubrication

I must say, though, that I enjoy having 4 distinct seasons. I love winter, and I like how, as it morphs into Spring there are pretty days like yesterday when the sun is shining and quiet, restful days when the rain falls. I enjoy seeing the crocus peek out of the earth and the smell of the worms coming back. I like those violent, tempestuous thunderstorms, too! Frankly, when I'm in a good mood (like now) I love it all! I love you all! Hope you all have marvelous days!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
I must say, though, that I enjoy having 4 distinct seasons.

I have lived outside of California: one year in Nevada and one in Bonn. In the latter city, I experienced all four seasons, and they were nice, especially spring and fall. Winter was the worse in 40 years, so i experienced that, too. Summer was just hot and humid and it seemed to rain every 3 or 4 days.

Speaking of Californian weather, things have cooled (down in the 60s last night), and we're supposed to have rain over the weekend.

Arias that don't have natural disasters like earthquakes, floods, tornados, hurricanes, etc., usually make do with man-made disasters like wars.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't want to brag about 120 degree F weather in Phoenix either!

Oh...how right you are, Asa! Years ago when I graduated from my masters program at UCSF in August, I thought I deserved a vacation. So, I packed all my stuff in my little tiny, non-air-conditioned car, and set off down 101 (I think...the California coastal highway?). I enjoyed California all the way really. However, then I was heading over through Arizona to visit my sister, before coming to Chicago. I drove into 128 degree weather in a small car with black seats and no air-conditioning. I thought I would die! They kept saying to me, "It's a dry heat!" Dry...like in getting into an oven!

Glad you're having better weather, CW, and I enjoy the 4 seasons too. However, this March has been a lion all month. I thought it was supposed to come in like a lion and leave like a lamb! We have snow now, too, Jo. I feel as though I am on one of those hamster merry-go-rounds!

posted Hide Post
Hello i Agree with Kalleh Smile

Posts: 22 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Of course, in England we have four seasons as well.

We had them all this month.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lol, RE Big Grin. Too true.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Richard!

A couple of weeks ago we were making snowballs, today I was sitting outside a café,enjoying a snack and soaking up the sun!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought it was supposed to come in like a lion and leave like a lamb!

It still may, Kalleh. We have another week, yet!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I can only tell you that I am in Washington DC now, and it is beautiful. Only a thin coat is required, the sun is out, and clearly spring is springing here!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I am in Washington DC now

So are the squirrels on the White House lawn, or are they still inside the oval office? Wink