Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    A question not so much about words but about moving them around the net.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question not so much about words but about moving them around the net. Login/Join

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted
This probably isn't the precisely correct forum for this but I have what might be a technical question.

I wanted to post something that referred to an OEDILF limerick. I cut-&-pasted the limerick and transferred it over here with no problem and then I did the same with its Author's Note. Then, however, I tried to do the same with a workshopping comment and the process wouldn't work. When I right-clicked my mouse, the word "Paste" was not highlighted as it was the previous two times, so the section that I had copied couldn't be pasted in.

I tried copying it to an email and that worked, but then when I tried to copy the email to this site, I got the same thing. I then tried posting everything to a new forum thread on the OEDILF site and everything worked fine. Copying the URL for transfer over here gives the same result--the word "paste" isn't highlighted so I hit a dead end.

What gives?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chris J. Strolin,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's late, and we just got home from a long day with Bob Hale and his friend so I may not understand your question. From my experience, it should work either way, shouldn't it, Arnie? I don't get it either.

As an aside, we talked about words, language, pronunciations, stressed syllables, etc., all day. We had so much fun. For example, I learned a new word; I hadn't heard the word "kip" before, meaning "nap." The UK/US differences in vowel pronunciatons are really interesting. I wish you all were here!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have noticed myself that not all formats will paste into all applications - although this is usually with image files.

I have often found that a workaround is to copy and paste into a cooperative program like Word, using the "paste as" command and pasting as unformatted text, jpeg, or some other common format (not html). Then cut and paste the text or image into the recalcitrant application and you're away.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Richard's solution is the best solution. Some fields may be unusual and it's not possible to copy them for some reason. There's usually a workaround via an intermediate application. Virge may be able to explain why it's not possible to copy a workshopping comment.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Maybe some protection that's been put in place since the great crash of '07? I haven't tried it here, but I often dump text from one web page or Word doc into a Notepad document, which will convert it into text, before pasting it into another web page. I guess that's the same thing that others are describing.

Wordmatic

PS Wish we were all there too, Kalleh!

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post