Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alight Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
It's not often that the transportation columnist in the Tribune writes about grammar, but here was the headline today: "CTA Riders Gripe about Grammar..."

The gripe? A sign on the CTA's Red Line reads, "Let the passengers alight the train before you board." The writer (an associate director and registrar at the English Language Academy at DePaul University) says, "Alight may be a verb to describe transit, but not a transitive verb. It can't take a direct object. Perhaps drivers could substitute 'depart' or 'leave' in place?"

Thoughts?

I did like the columnist's comment at the end, "If CTA President Forrest Claypool fails to nip this problem in the bud, next thing you know, train operators will be showing off even more by announcing, 'Mind the gap'."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I couldn't find any instance of "alight" being used this way without either being preceded by "to" or with an "-ed" attachment (alighted).

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like a mistake. It's only used intransitively or with preposition + object.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd use 'alight from the train'. Alternatively, 'get off' or 'leave' would do the job.

I don't understand the comment about train operators 'showing off', though.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the OED Online:
quote:
alight, v.1
II.
To descend, fall, or land.
2.intr.

a. With from, off, †of. To get down from a horse, to dismount; to descend or get down from (or out of) any means of transport.

OE   Ælfric Catholic Homilies: 1st Ser. (Royal) (1997) xxvii. 408   Ic geseah þurh Godes gast, þa se þegen alihte of his cræte & eode togeanes þe.

lOE   Anglo-Saxon Chron. (Laud) (Peterborough contin.) anno 1123   Se kyng alihte dune of his hors & alehte hine [sc. the bishop] betwux his earmes.

c1300  (▸?a1200)    Laȝamon Brut (Otho) (1978) 13145   Adun hii gonne a-lihte of hire gode stedes.

c1300   Life & Martyrdom Thomas Becket (Harl. 2277) (1845) l. 1895   Of his palefrai he aliȝte adoun.

a1393   Gower Confessio Amantis (Fairf.) i. l. 2227 (MED),   I doun fro my Charr alihte.

a1450  (▸c1410)    H. Lovelich Hist. Holy Grail xxv. l. 151   He ne dorste..Owt of his Sadil Alyhte.

1477   Caxton tr. R. Le Fèvre Hist. Jason (1913) 13   Peleus and Iason were alighted from their hors.

1530   J. Palsgrave Lesclarcissement 420/2,   I alight downe of a horse.

1578   T. Nicholas tr. F. Lopez de Gómara Pleasant Hist. Conquest W. India [/i]321   And he alyghting from his horse.

1608   T. Dekker Lanthorne & Candle-light vii. sig. F3v,   He that neuer alights off a rich Farmer or countrie Gentleman, till he haue drawne money from him.

1686   tr. J. Chardin Trav. Persia (1927) 85   The Ambassador of the Lesqui did not alight from his Horse.

1704   Clarendon's Hist. Rebellion III. xiv. 404   His Majesty alighted out of his Coach.

1762   L. Sterne Life Tristram Shandy V. xxix. 103   Making as if he would have alighted from off his horse,..he was poising himself on the mounting side.

1857   Dickens Let. 12 Sept. (1995) VIII. 444   Station-masters assist him to alight from carriages.

1863   A. Jameson [i] Legends Monastic Orders
(ed. 3) 36   The emperor has just alighted from his charger.

1937   New Yorker [/i]13 Nov. 28/2   The car from which he alighted out of the midnight train was the farthest from the station.

1962   Coast to Coast 1961–2 72   The cameras zoomed to a middle-aged man alighting from an inter-urban Hovercraft.

1997   ‘Q’ Deadmeat 274   A couple were alighting from a black cab.

b. Without construction. To get down from a horse or other means of transport; (hence) to finish one's ride, to stop.

[OE   Ælfric Lives of Saints(Julius) (1900) II. 160   Hi..ridon ofer twelf mila to Rodan þæra ea, and þær gelihton sona, for ðam langsumum færelde.]

c1175  (▸OE)    Ælfric Lives of Saints (Cambr. Ii.1.33) (Dict. Old Eng. transcript) (1900) II. 150   Hwæt ðe casere ða caflice alyhte [OE Julius lihte] þancigende Gode þære wissunge.

c1275  (▸?a1200)    Laȝamon Brut (Calig.) (1978) l. 13285   Heo letten alle þa horsmen i þan wude alihten [c1300 Otho a-lihte].

c1300  (▸c1250)    Floris & Blauncheflur (Cambr.) 21 (MED),   At þe selue huse hi buþ aliȝt Þat blauncheflur was þat oþer niȝt.

a1375   William of Palerne (1867) l. 3923   He a-liȝt, & wiȝtli to william his wepun vp to-ȝelde.

c1405  (▸c1395)    Chaucer Clerk's Tale (Hengwrt) (2003) l. 981   Abouten vndren gan this Erl alighte.

1480   Cronicles Eng. (Caxton) ccxliiij. sig. t7v,   They come ridyng thurgh the cite of london vn to seint Poules and there they alight.

1523   Ld. Berners tr. J. Froissart Cronycles I. f. cxl/2,   And assoone as he sawe the princes baner, he alyghted & wente thyder.

1590   Spenser Faerie Queene i. xii. sig. M2v,   Fast before the king he did alight.

1598   R. Barret Theorike & Pract. Mod. Warres iv. 101   That if occasion be offered, euery mounted souldier may alight.

1600   Shakespeare Merchant of Venice ii. ix. 85   Madame, there is a-lighted at your gate A young Venetian.

1678   Young Man's Calling 364   She was fain to alite under a hedge, and there to trim her self as well as she could.

1741   S. Richardson Pamela III. xxxvii. 351   We alighted, and walked a little Way.

1792   H. H. Brackenridge Mod. Chivalry I. i. 18   Coming to a small cottage, he stopped a little, to alight and dress the wound.

1824   T. F. Dibdin Libr. Compan. 224   He happens to alight at an inn.

1872   H. I. Jenkinson Guide Eng. Lake District (1879) 200   On alighting at the Threlkeld station cross the line.

1910   A. G. Morice Hist. Catholic Church Western Canada I. xviii. 295   He rode on all day; but when he alighted, he could not stand up: both his feet were frozen.

1972   J. Potter Going West 17   Transit passengers were encouraged to alight for the stopover.

2004   D. Lodge Author, Author ii. vi. 157   One boarded a train at Victoria or Waterloo station and two or three days later alighted in some warm historic southern city.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't understand the comment about train operators 'showing off', though.
Being "British." Smile

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Is minding the gap a "British" thing, then?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes. The first time I heard it was when I was in London - and I thought it was so cute. We'd say something more like, "Be careful, stupid!" Thus the showing off comment.