Wordcraft Community Home Page
LLabrador retrievers - namd error

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/6631082874

July 17, 2007, 14:43
Hic et ubique
LLabrador retrievers - namd error
I've just read John Grogan's book Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog, which I highly recommend. Marley was a Labrador retriever, and the book explains the breed name:
July 18, 2007, 01:43
arnie
What's a few hundred miles? At least the guy who named them was less geographically challenged than whoever who named turkeys. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 18, 2007, 04:36
wordmatic
And then there's a whole separate breed called Newfoundlands, also black dogs that work near water, and even do water rescue. The St. John's dog, found in Newfoundland, was the forerunner of the Labrador retriever, it says here.

wordmatic
July 18, 2007, 19:41
<Asa Lovejoy>
Sunflower howled (like a dog!) when she read Marley and Me!

If you think Labradors are confusing, how about canaries (birds) being named for "The Island of Dogs!?!?!?"
July 22, 2007, 19:49
Kalleh
I was trying to find in Google other examples of animals named in error, and in doing so I found this Wikipedia article about some Hebrew names being the names of animals. Some of the examples were Deborah meaning bee, Jonah meaning dove or Caleb meaning dog. A couple of the rarer names though are a bit of an insult: Achbor means mouse and Hulda means weasel or rat.

Can you imagine being named a word meaning weasel? Roll Eyes
July 23, 2007, 05:53
bethree5
hehe... on a hunch, when I saw "achbor" means "mouse", I set about discovering whether the Muslim name Akbar might also mean mouse! Yes, it does! It is the name of an old buddy's firstborn (my friend is originally from a Muslim family from India); she had advised me it meant "joy" or some such. According to one source, a reference to the mouse god of Syrian culture.
July 23, 2007, 06:27
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Hulda means weasel or rat.

Can you imagine being named a word meaning weasel? Roll Eyes

Here you go! http://www.lewisriver.com/huldaklagerlilacgardens/
July 23, 2007, 07:12
zmježd
Bee (or Bea Wink ) seems to be a popular girl's name: cf. Melissa and Melinda from Greek, both from PIE *melit- 'honey'. Hulda also seems to be a name in Medieval German, meaning something like grace; (well-)disposed, cf. German Huld 'grace'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
July 23, 2007, 07:24
arnie
Kläger in German means "prosecutor", "complainant", "litigator", etc. So, presumabably, the original Hulda Klager was a weasel prosecutor. A not uncommon description for lawyers ...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 23, 2007, 20:39
Kalleh
Hopefully Shu won't see this thread. Wink

I wonder if the reputation of lawyers is the same throughout the world.