Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Followship Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have wondered why there isn't a legitimate word, followship. While there are a few things about it on the Web (45,000 hits), there isn't a definition for it in Onelook or in the OED (my gold standard). Yet, we hear about leadership ad nauseum. Why not followship?

I remember hearing about a student once who applied to an Ivy League college. In her essay they asked her if she were a leader. Now this is a 17-year-old. She wrote that at this stage of life she wouldn't describe herself as a leader, but she went into some excellent reasons as to why she is a good follower. The college admitted her and sent her a letter saying they're happy to have admitted at least 1 follower with this group of admissions. Isn't it the truth? Everyone thinks he or she is a leader, but people rarely describe themselves as followers. Where would we be without followers?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I don't know about without followers but with probably Jonestown.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
I don't know about without followers but with probably Jonestown.

I'll drink to that!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a perfectly good and recognized word followership, analagous to leadership. The "-ship" termination is added to the noun (leader/follower), not to the verb (lead/follow).

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, of course, timon. I had forgotten the "er." It's in the OED, with the earliest citation being from the Oakland Tribune in 1913.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post