Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How should women speak? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Here are 13 tips. While I realize it's all tongue in cheek, I have to say, I have no idea where #s 3, 4 and 5 come from, do you?
quote:
3) Never end sentences with a question mark, even when you are asking a question. This may baffle and alarm everyone around you, but better that than the alternative.

4) In fact, avoid questions entirely, lest someone hear you speaking with a rising inflection and take away your place in the workforce. When you wish to ask a question, have a man ask it for you, to save face.

5) Never speak with a rising inflection. If you must speak with any inflection at all, speak with a falling inflection.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
All three reference the tale that women tend to speak with a rising inflection at the end of sentences, as when asking a question, and (very unsubtly) warn you against doing so.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Warn you against asking questions? Geez. My life would be turned upside down. Wink I suppose, though, that the stereotype is that women ask the questions while men answer them.

This would be hard to adhere to in Canada!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
As you said, it's tongue in cheek.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have noted that many women DO end declarative sentences with a rising inflection, and lately have heard some men do so. It's still mostly women. Regardless of who does it DOES annoy the hell outa me!

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regardless of who does it DOES annoy the hell outa me!
Don't move to Canada then. It is my experience, from meetings and conference calls with our Canadian associate members, that HRT (high rise terminals) is part of the Canadian dialect. Indeed, after an hour conference call with them, I begin to use HRT.

Good article, Goofy.