Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out-of-date words Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
On the chat today, I told Geoff how my kids thought I must be ancient because they laughed when I said something like, "He gets his jollies from...." Geoff mentioned that he used to use the words "keen" and "swell," but of course they aren't used now.

What are other words that have "gone out of style," so to speak?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Heh. There must be thousands of words and phrases like this that cause us to show our age, or perhaps we recall as 'quaint' sayings of our parents.

Only today I said to a colleague 'You bet your sweet bippy' * and the said colleague looked at me as if I was speaking another language.

* If you're too young to remember this was a catchphrase on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in, a TV show that, I'm embarrassed to see, ran some 40-45 years ago.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Yesterday it was revealed that Governor Rick Scott of Florida, upon taking office, issued a directive that from then on no communication was to have the words "climate change" or "global warming" within it. Government scientists say this makes discussing environmental problems much more difficult (probably an understatement). If you were working in a position that required using those words, what would you do?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use the terms, Rick Scott change or Rick Scott hot air. Why am I reminded of Candide?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Apparently the Disney Corporation higher-ups were not happy that employees had taken to referring to the company as 'Mousechwitz' (spelling?) so they issued a decree that anyone found using the term would be fired on the spot. Within hours, their wage-slaves started calling the place 'Duckenwald' instead.

I'm sure that Floridians can also be creative in this way to subvert similar diktats.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I certainly agree with "global warming." It's a stupid term that doesn't adequate describe climate change. However, I am always against censoring of words, which is absolutely what this is.

posted Hide Post
I've heard it said that Boston had a record breaking amount of global warming dumped on it this winter. Wink That notwithstanding, it's pretty hard to argue that weather patterns have not changed in recent decades. Human causes are clear in such areas as the Sahel region of North Africa, where humans have stripped vegetation, which has led to desertification. Some argue that the root cause is decreasing carbon sequestration - a theory that's more demonstrable than is rising carbon dioxide levels in the upper atmosphere.

arnie, "Mousechwitz" reminded me of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
'You bet your sweet bippy'

I award you the fickle finger of fate!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
If you were working in a position that required using those words, what would you do?

First off I would banish the words 'Rick' and 'Scott' from all communications.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are there any countries that accept refugees from governmental idiocy?

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:If you were working in a position that required using those words, what would you do? First off I would banish the words 'Rick' and 'Scott' from all communications.

Excellent solution!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
arnie, "Mousechwitz" reminded me of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

We have that book, Geoff!

<Proofreader>
posted
Got this in an email today.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow. They really do have too much time on their hands. There are some pretty good words on that list.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
<Sigh>.

posted Hide Post
Gee, Proofreader, I find myself very sympathetic to most of his suggested dumpster fodder! A kindred spirit, I guess! Roll Eyes

"The smell of the dust they kicked up was rich and satisfying" - Grahame

Posts: 209 | Location: Toronto, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is "Vocabula" a word vampire? It sure as shootin' ain't a word.

posted Hide Post
More about the man behind the Vocabula Review, Robert Hartwell Fiske:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/ev...32607094/m/351104781

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you love words, if you love the English language, you'll love The Vocabula Review.

Wanna bet?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, where is that quote from? I must have missed it.

I liked z's comments about Fiske in that link from goofy. I know z is taken with his beau and all, but I miss him:
quote:
Yes, he's pretty much a linguistic troll. I have his book. It's part of my prescriptivist collection.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Bob's quote is taken from the Vocabula Review site itself. You didn't think it was a quote from any of the reviewers here, did you? Eek
quote:
I know z is taken with his beau and all
Um ... She's his belle, not his beau. Not that there'd be anything wrong with that ...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah...I didn't realize that it was beau and belle, though I should have. Please forgive.

Yes, z has a belle with whom he is quite taken, which is good news.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Oh, i get back here from time to time. I call her my bella, preferring the Italian to the French. Wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, and we love it when you do!