Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Signs revisited... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In today's Bierma column, which I posted elsewhere, he mentioned 2 signs he'd recently seen:

~ Every Single Jean $20 Off

~ The Perfect Pant Event

For the first sign, Bierma asked them if the sign meant he would receive a $40 discount for a pair of jeans. Wink

Then in our community, the police have put up this sign:

Police Ticket Stop Sign Violators

That begs the question (that phrase is probably misused!), do speeders and stop light violators and DUIs get a free pass? Roll Eyes

We've had sign threads before...but have you seen any fun ones recently?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't actually seen this one but Bill Bryson quotes it in Lost Continent (I think). A store selling camping gear was having a winter sale and the sign read:

"This is the Winter of Our Discount Tent"

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
And this is the late summer of our joy to see you back!!! Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh you know me: here today, gone tomorrow, and here again the day after...

Nice to see you too! Big Grin

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey, Muse...Asa has been up to a lot while you've been gone. He's married now! Big Grin

Love the winter of our discount tent sign!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
From my Dad's Reader's Digest:

A sign on the elevator read:

"In case of fire, don't use the elevator."

Underneath it, someone had written in:

"Use water." Big Grin

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
From my Dad's Reader's Digest:

A sign on the elevator read:

"In case of fire, don't use the elevator."

Underneath it, someone had written in:

"Use water." Big Grin

Good one. But is the piece included in copies of the Reader's Digest of people other than your Dad? Wink

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
LOL - good question, Pearce! Ha!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
But is the piece included in copies of the Reader's Digest of people other than your Dad?

Actually no. It's just in his. Razz

[Confession time: I am always guilty when I read "Reader's Digest," especially in front of such an erudite crowd as on Wordcraft... so I had to mention that it was my father's magazine and not mine. Roll Eyes]

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I don't care for RD sinec I find it lacking in depth - which I suppose is inevitable for a digest or precis. However, it is a good example of a journal that takes complex concepts and writing and turns them into articles that are accessible to the majority.

As you will have realised from previous postings of mine, I regard this as an important and useful skill. There is far too much written that is unecessarily complex, arcane and elitist. Translating such works into more understandable forms must surely increase the sum total of information available.

Those who learn about something from the likes of RD can, if they so wish, obtain further information from the source(s). But without the initial RD exposure they'd prossibly never have known about it.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I agree with you, Richard! I think any access to information is valid. They don't claim to have all of the information or anything, they are what they are. Lovely, that.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard English:
… it is a good example of a journal that takes complex concepts and writing and turns them into articles that are accessible to the majority.

Just to break the habits of a lifetime, I agree.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pearce:
Good one. But is the piece included in copies of the Reader's Digest of people other than your Dad? Wink
The title of that publication has always annoyed me a little. Surely it should be Readers' Digest? I am sure they have more readers than just Kalleh's Dad!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely it should be Readers' Digest? I am sure they have more readers than just Kalleh's Dad!
But surely each copy of the digest belongs to a single reader? And thus is that reader's digest? Wink

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My own RD was delivered today... and I'm not ashamed; I devour it. It links to many questions, thoughts, articles, news, etc.

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
But surely each copy of the digest belongs to a single reader? And thus is that reader's digest?

Is it a digest for readers or a digest for a reader?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
This reminds me of John Callahan's book, "Digesting the Inner Child," which depicted a snake consuming a little boy.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't care for RD sinec I find it lacking in depth

Yes, that's the point. I agree, however, with KHC that nobody should be embarrassed for reading...and I shouldn't have been. Besides, the jokes are great! Big Grin

Richard, I'd consider it a digest for a reader, and I find the apostrophe appropriate (though we all know that I am not an apostrophe expert!)