Wordcraft Community Home Page
Arachibutyrophobia.

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/6961083313

March 27, 2006, 14:40
Erik Johansen
Arachibutyrophobia.
So,I must admit I've never looked up this word in the dictionary. I came across it in the Modesty Blaise novels by Peter O'Donnell- who liked the to shove an unusual word in here and there as part of the plot.
Apparently it means the 'fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth'. True or false?
March 27, 2006, 15:24
zmježd
Well, peanuts (or ground nuts or what have you) are Arachis hypogaea. And butyros is butter. So, it's one of those made up words that just exist in lists. This time lists of -phobias. I read it as 'fear of peanut butter'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
March 27, 2006, 15:27
Erik Johansen
As in can't get the bloody top of the jar?! I must admit I've never even tried peanut butter, although it's quite common here now. A few years ago it was a mystery along with Budweiser, and I'll agree with Richard here, bud would have been better staying a mystery!
March 27, 2006, 15:39
zmježd
I must admit I like peanut butter better than American Budweiser.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
March 27, 2006, 16:45
Hic et ubique
quote:
Peter O'Donnell- who liked the to shove an unusual word in here and there as part of the plot.
How the devil did O'Donnell manage to make it part of the plot? Or was he unable to pull that off, and it was part of the dialogue, etc., but not a plot element?
March 29, 2006, 09:41
Erik Johansen
quote:
Originally posted by Hic et ubique:
quote:
Peter O'Donnell- who liked the to shove an unusual word in here and there as part of the plot.
How the devil did O'Donnell manage to make it part of the plot? Or was he unable to pull that off, and it was part of the dialogue, etc., but not a plot element?

Sorry,my mistake! I meant work them into the novel, although one I do remember did inspire some plot element. In the novels-enjoyable potboilers!- the two protagonists have a private game where he uses some unusual word, she pretends not to notice it but won't ever ask what it means, until eventually she cracks and has to! Ah, the days before the internet!
March 29, 2006, 09:49
Erik Johansen
Actually I did come across the word elsewhere (can't remember where) and it too mentioned the 'sticking to the roof of the mouth' bit rather than just merely a fear of peanut butter.
March 29, 2006, 19:05
Kalleh
I've always have had simple tastes...but I love a peanut butter and strawberry preserves sandwich (on great bread, of course), coupled with a glass of cold milk. Mmmmm! Smile