Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bobos? Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
I'd seen the term "metrosexual" and thought I was up on new lingo -- but then found a term that mystified. "Bobo" seems to be a group label for some sort of people. In the mainstream press I read,
quote:
politicians brandishing the conveniently labeled group identities that, according to advertisers and style editors, define us. We may hear that they are Nascar dads, soccer moms, book-group swingles, bobos, middle youths, or prime timers.
The author must have thought the term is well-known to his readers. But not to me.

What on earth is a "bobo"?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
My guess is that a bobo is one who has yet to amalgamate that appellation to his erudition.

In which case I, too, am one.

~~~~ bobo

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find much about it online. Interestingly, there were a bunch of foreign language sites, as well as one with a game. I haven't heard it before. Confused

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Acronym Finder gives (inter alia) "Bourgeoise Bohemian". Why "Bourgeoise" and not "Bourgeois" I don't know.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Is it perhaps one of those acronym back formations like Yuppy and Dinky that the press seem inexplicably fond of ?
I can't think what it might be though.

Glaubt es mir - das Geheimnis, um die größte Fruchtbarkeit und den größten Genuß vom Dasein einzuernten, heisst: gefährlich leben.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
"Bobos"

You were correct in assuming that this term relates to yet another sub-category of individuals in today's society. May I suggest:

"Breasts on back-order" Women waiting for their implants to come in.

"Better off buying overseas" U.S. citizens who proudly wave the flag but make purchasing decisions based solely on price thereby keeping Third World sweatshops and child labor law violators in business. Frequently seen in Wal-Mart.

"Budweiser offers better orgasms" Public relations executives, advertizers etc. In other words, the manipulative geniuses who somehow enduce people to drink thin yellow fizz in the belief that doing so will somehow make them more attractive to the opposite sex. (You've seen the ads, right?)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Breasts on back-order" Women waiting for their implants to come in.
-------------------------------------------
There's a French slang term, "bloblos," that means, "breasts," so maybe it's Franglaise.

As for Budweiser providing better orgasms, maybe back in the days when they used bottles, but I can't imagine one can being any different form another one.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
In Mandarin Chinese, "bo-bo" means "uncle" (father's older brother).

this is a bit far fetched, so to speak.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was a misprint for bonobo.

Glaubt es mir - das Geheimnis, um die größte Fruchtbarkeit und den größten Genuß vom Dasein einzuernten, heisst: gefährlich leben.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Bonobos are "swingers," so to speak, having sex for social as well as reproductive purposes, just as humans do. Is that your point, Bob? I find only oblique references to this on the site you referenced.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Is that your point, Bob?

I had a point ?

er...I mean, yes, of course, hit the nail on the head, well spotted.

quote:
I find only oblique references to this on the site you referenced.

I was at work when I posted and it was the first site about the bonobo that I found.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Apparentlty arnie got it with Bourgeois Bohemians.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently arnie got it with Bourgeois Bohemians
Why doesn't that surprise me? Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post