Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conie Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Have any of you heard of this French Cajun word, conie, meaning "deceitful?" I am at a conference and one of the attendees from Louisiana said it's a pretty common word there. Yet, I couldn't find it anywhere. I am wondering if she is misspelling it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There's an obsolete English word conie, meaning "known" That comes from the French, connu, "known". The word is used by Shakespeare in Love's Labours Lost with the negative prefix as in-conie or incony, "unknown".

I suppose in Cajun the meaning could have changed over time to mean "found out", and thus "deceitful".

There is also the unrelated coney, meaning "rabbit".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rabbit connection is what first occurred to me, though I think a cony is a separate species similar to a rabbit. Then there's the archaic English word, "couthe," IIRC, probably related to "conie."

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The person who told me about it said that it would be different in French Cajun from general French. However, since I couldn't find it online, I am wondering if she is spelling it right.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I found a Cajun French glossary at http://appl003.lsu.edu/artsci/...lossary?OpenDocument but that doesn't include the word. It's obviously not exhaustive, though.

It does however have canaille (pronounced something like KAH NAHY) which is very likely the word you're looking for. It is glossed as
quote:
1. mischievous [of children]. 2. sneaky, wily. [This word does not have the strong pejorative connotation it has in standard French.]

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Obviously from Coney Island, with its deceitful games of chance.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Then there's the archaic English word, "couthe," IIRC, probably related to "conie."

I don't think so, "couthe" is related to "can/could"

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
BTW, my colleague pronounced it cah-NEYE. She indicated that it's used a lot but she wasn't sure of the spelling. It probably is the word that arnie found.

[edited typo]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Connected to the English "conniving", which is from the French "conniver", perhaps?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:

I don't think so, "couthe" is related to "can/could"
From which, IIRC, we get "canny/uncanny," which often suggests slyness.

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
There's the whole concept of cony-catching from Elizabethan times (link). French now has lapin for rabbit, having replaced the older conis, conil < Latin cuniculus 'rabbit' < cunnus 'female pudenda' + -iculus (double diminutive, cf homunculus 'manikin'). Not really related to the con in con-man which is from [i]confidence, but who knows.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
BTW, my colleague pronounced it cah-NEYE. She indicated that it's used a lot but she wasn't sure of the spelling. I probably is the word that arnie found.

I think you're right, it's "canaille". Altho the Cajun dictionary Arnie cites says the last syllable is pronounced NAHY (like the Eng word 'nigh')-- as does a Canadian Fr dic I found, & that's how it's said in France. But I listen to Cajun & Fr-Canadian folk songs, & hear "aille" pronounced as "eille", EY, or even EE

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post