Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Her and I Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have a very well-educated (by schooling, that is) friend who makes a few grammatical errors. Now, I know we aren't all that prescriptive here, so I have been able to live with most of them. However, here's one I find unliveable: "Her and I were talking about the situation."

What do you think? Am I too stringent in my grammatical views? Or is this one example you can agree with me on?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I've used that construction too. It's a question of register - I know enough not to use it in formal writing, but I see no reason to try to avoid it in conversation.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
In m,y neck of the woods we say

"Me and her was talking."

What can I say? It's how I was brung up.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's not a construction I'd use in any register, but I've heard it, and similar, quite commonly.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I'm sort of with Bob on this one. "her and I were" sounds wrong in any register, but "me and her were" is OK in informal conversation.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Really? Even in talk at work, formal or informal? I am surprised.

Now, if you say it's okay with informal talk, but not for formal talk, then I suppose I could work with you on this. That is, you are talking whlie getting coffee with a colleague...fine, you can say "Her and I were in the marathon together." But, then coffee is over, and you are part of a Webinar with people from all over the country. Would you say, "Her and I are the PIs on this multi-site, NIH funded study."? If not, then I think it comes down to habit. If you get in the habit of saying "Her and I" informally, it is very likely you will blurt it out during a formal meeting. Maybe none of you think that would be a problem, but I think it could be a career-affecting statement because people will wonder about your educational preparedness to undertake scholarly work or national or international initiatives that need to be disseminated widely. I'm just saying...that's the reality.

I am ready to be skewered! Eek

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
It is to laugh. Everyone knows the proper construction is "She and me."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post